#1 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:46 PM

I have allways wanted to build a car. I will admit that I wanted to build a good street car but I went to Barbagello a month ago with a mate and thought, why not build a race car. We went to watch a round of local racing that included IRPA. It looks like a whole heap of fun. There were a good spread EM and LM cars on the grid. I thought that if I would attempt to get out there it would be in a Torana. So with the help of Outer Control I have bought a 4 door LX which will be the basis for a build.

I have been getting my head around what sort of budget I would have and that is why I am in no hurry to hit the track. I plan to do most of the work myself with a good mate of mine who has built a really tough Tarmac Rally VC Commodore. I plan to build the roll cage myself so we have bought a bender and notcher. The Miller website has a really good section on roll cage building. I had better brush up on the TIG welding skills. I plan to run a L98 6ltr Chev, Quicktime Bellousing, Tilton clutch and throw out bearing, Jerico 5 Speed Road Race gearbox and Track 9 9" diff housing for the drive line. I have bought a Tilton Pedal Box and plan to get a Velo "Apex" seat and Woodward steering so I can plan the inside with the roll cage. That is as far as I have got. I have found that researching things takes a really long time. So here it goes.........................

Attached Files

Edited by eyepeeler, 15 May 2011 - 05:47 PM.

#2 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

that's really good mate, best wishes.

what size wheels are you planning on?

#3 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:30 PM

that's really good mate, best wishes.

what size wheels are you planning on?

I was talking with Outer Control about this and I was hoping I might be able to get a set of Jongbloeds. I know they came in 15" but as they are 3 piece rims I'm hoping to get a set of normal centres and custom outers to go out to 16x8. Failing that, maybe a set of the new Hotwires from Neales Wheels?? I need to get the offset worked out when I get the front end underway, I haven't even looked at this yet. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

#4 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:00 PM

You can get the jongbloeds in 16's, the guy who does them, craig, can do them in a 16 as well as 15. They are a bigger rim, the centre is identical.

sounds good, don't forget the challengers also, see rorym's build thread on his hdt tribute, he made them look the goods.

I'm a sucker for the hotwire idea though.

My only comment is get the brakes sorted and mounted first, then make sure you understand the dimensions when ordering your rims, specifically around the caliper.

Welby

#5 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

Any updates?

#6 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:02 PM

Any updates

I took some photos today of the car. Took them on my phone but something went wrong, Can't find them, or any other photo!!! Any way I have striped the interior and started to take the panels off the front. I have hit the credit card and ordered the engine from SRE, it's a 6Ltr Chev with a ARE low profile dry sump, Tilton pedal box arrived the other day along with the Quicktime Bellhousing. A Tilton 7.25" triple plate clutch and Throw out bearing is on the way as is a Jerico Road race 5 speed. I also spoke to the old bloke from Wilson Fibreglass, he is doing a full kit for me before he retires.
I hope to have the car fully striped down in the next 2 weeks to start the rebuild. I will get some photo's up in the next couple of days.

#7 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:08 PM

This where I have got to over the last 2 weekends. I hope to have the car fully striped down in the next 2 weeks. I has been good to see only a bit of rust in spots as the panels come off!!! Even when the rear tail lights came out I was expecting some there, none that I can see. The rust that I have found I should be able to fix myself. Need to get the mig welder out!!

Attached Files

#8 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:12 PM

Looks like its going to be a pretty serious car, will be keeping tabs on this thread :D

How much did the pipe bender set you back and where was it from?

#9 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:22 PM

Looks like its going to be a pretty serious car, will be keeping tabs on this thread :D

How much did the pipe bender set you back and where was it from?

Its a JD2 Model 32 pipe bender. Do a search on them, there a few places you can get them.

#10 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

Engine bay, have not done much here yet. Only removed the wiring loom so far.

Attached Files

#11 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

there a few places you can get them.

Care to be abit more specific? was it somewhere in Perth? Ive failed to find something like this myself... a search found them on ebay and the manufacturer website.. altho in the US :(

#12 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

there a few places you can get them.

Care to be abit more specific? was it somewhere in Perth? Ive failed to find something like this myself... a search found them on ebay and the manufacturer website.. altho in the US :(

I didn't get the bender in Perth. JD2 stands for JD Squared. I bought mine from the States. If you check out the trick tools web site www.tricktools.com thats where we got ours from. I know that "Performance Metals" in NSW also sell JD2 equipment, they also sell roll cage tube as well. The freight from either the USA or locally from NSW is big, but its a great peice of kit. Look at the notcher as well, it's a good for roll cage joins.
Hope that helps a bit.

#13 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:37 PM

Ahk cheers, was hoping you found someone local.... Least the dollar is good atm.

Look forward to seeing some pics of the cage

#14 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:13 AM

Wow mate, you dont screw around! I might have missed it earlier in the post but when are you hoping to be debuting the car? Any plans to bring the hatch over from SA?

Dave

#15 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:44 PM

Picked the engine up from SRE today. The dry sump looks trick!!

Attached Files

#16 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

Whole thing looks trick

#17 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

Gee! This is getting serious.

When you sell of all those unneeded rare torana parts on ebay, you should recoup half your costs!

Edited by The Baron, 24 June 2011 - 09:57 AM.

#18 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

Gee! This is getting serious.

When you sell of all those unneeded rare torana parts on ebay, you should recoup half your costs!

Ha!! I love it when people describe Torana stuff as "Rare" on Ebay. Especially when you see more than 5 listings for the same part!!

Looking forward to catching up when I'm next back in town. Hopfully not to far away. Would love to go for a run with you and Outer again up in the hills.

#19 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

Wow mate, you dont screw around! I might have missed it earlier in the post but when are you hoping to be debuting the car? Any plans to bring the hatch over from SA?

Dave

Hey Dave, The hatchback will stay in Adelaide. I get back there every now and then and it's good to get out on a run with HTC when I can and also with a few good mates in other hatchbacks. As far as the IPRA car goes, I hope to get it done in under 12 months time. Would be good to get to the Hidden Valley round next year. A crap load to do between now and then though!! See how it goes..............

#20 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

That donk looks serious getting a chubby just picturing it in the lx engine bay.
Watch out Baron this might just be the Taxi to end all taxis. Theres one T^orana tougher and thats the might6y TA [trans am]
Just gotta mount the 12x7,s on the tyres Goodyear polyglass tyres no less then the Hornet scoop for the cold air boost,sorry to steal this thread but i,m exited

#21 _TJ355_

_TJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

This thing is gonna be a beast i just got a chubby 2

#22 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:19 PM

I got a bit ahead of myself today!! I had to work Sat and Sun and with the car being at work I put a couple of hours in this afternoon. Started to strip the paint off on the right rear. I had a couple of hours so I thought why not. Come up ok though.

Attached Files

#23 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

Got the Engine out today. Check out the crack in the gear box bell housing. Nasty one!!

Attached Files

#24 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

Wow decent crack there!

#25 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:02 PM

Gee, you don't mess around Eyepeeler.
Ill be watching your build with keen interest!

"Cheers"

Alf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users