r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Car:2/71 LC GTR, 4/71 LC 4 'S'

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

from the looks of that, you might as well have made your own engine mounts!!

cheers
Glenn

#52 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

from the looks of that, you might as well have made your own engine mounts!!

cheers
Glenn

I know, bit dissapointed i had to do that. Live and learn as they say.

#53 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

awesome build mate, looking tops, love the dry sump set-up.

I've fitted a 6 speed behind mine, but not sure how the jerico box compares dimensions wise, It's looks a bit longer from the pics than the 6 speed. I ended up cutting the whole tunnel out and starting from scratch, also had to cut into the crossbrace in the floor pan, so had to find another way to brace the tunnel to keep the engineer happy. Dirtbag has some good pics of how he did the one in his brothers UC in one of his threads.

As welby said andy has done it also and is a wealth of information.

Thanks for the comment, could say the same about your car as well. Have been keeping up with your build thread and I bet you can't wait to get it done. Looks awsome. My daughter loves the colour, big fan of purple.
Not sure how much of the trans tunnel will have to be removed. Litre8 may know as he has a Jerico in his car. Might send him a PM later in the week.
I am sort of flying half blind in some areas, I know what I want to do but which is the best way to go. Like with the engine mounts, knowing what I know now I would have been better off making my own!!

#54 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:03 PM

haha yeh mate, I know exactly where your coming from, I've done a lot of things twice and if i done it again there'd be a lot of things i'd do differently but ya get that, live n learn. Gunna be a tuff car when your done, looking forward to seeing how it turns out

#55 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:32 PM

Had the car sand blasted and primed today. It's good to see what swiss cheese is there to be cut out and fixed. All the usual places had it. It's good to have the car cleaned out. There was one very dodgy repair done on the left tail light area, will have to do a bit of work to fix it, will post pics of that one later!!

Attached File  Sand Blast 01.jpg   45.07K   10 downloads

When he did the roof it all worked not to bad. I was dreading how it would go. There is a slight bit of warping, didn't see it at first but did later, does anyone have suggestions as to how to fix this or do I just leave it and body fill it later?

Attached File  Sand Blast 02.jpg   46.22K   7 downloads

End result. I think it is a good base to start with.

Attached File  Sand Blast 03.jpg   39.45K   9 downloads

Edited by eyepeeler, 19 October 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#56 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

Have been away on a holiday with the family. Went up to Coral Bay just south of Exmouth. Had a great time up there. Back to work now and got to start putting back the Roll Cage after it was blasted some weeks ago. Much the same as you have seen before only I have tacked in the bar between the "A" pillars and started the diagonal bars in the Main Hoop.

Attached File  Roll Cage 08.jpg   37.78K   9 downloads

I have to cover up all holes in the cabin at some point and the rear parcel shelf will come out. It hasn't had the speaker holes cut out and looks in good nick. Anyone who wants an un-cut parcel shelf for a restoration let me know.

#57 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

Nothing to do with the Torana but my the wife and kids gave me a birthday present today......

Attached File  IMAG0321.jpg   33.88K   8 downloads

She has known from the outset that any present to do with anything Torana is well received!! The kids are well aware of this as well. By the looks of the puzzle Brocky is just in front!
Just as side note, she gave me the puzzle so I might spend less time on the computer which means this Forum!!! Well at least until the puzzle is finished.

#58 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

Same old sop story, have been to busy with work to spend time on the car. I have progressed a bit more with the roll cage. I have started to weld up what I am putting in. No more tacking in and looking at it. I cut a hole in the floor at the base of the main hoop so I can lower the cage to weld the top of it. I have only welded the underside of what is in so far. Will drop it next ime. Attached File  Roll Cage 09.jpg   145.49K   9 downloads
Cage 09.jpg]

Using the rottisserie for getting a good weld on what would be an upside down weld has been a good help. Wasn't the plan from the begining to do it this way, I was chatting with a mate about how in postion welding can be a prick and he just said "why not put it on the rottisserie". Damn good idea!

Attached File  Roll Cage 10.jpg   143.62K   10 downloads

This is where I got to.

Attached File  Roll Cage 11.jpg   184.23K   10 downloads

#59 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

Rotissery is definately the way to go, makes life so much easier, cage is coming up well mate, lookin good.

#60 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

Looks awesome man, Good idea with the Rotisserie.

#61 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

Well since I have been back from holidays a few weeks now and having not done anything I thought I would continue. I must admit seeing 355LX's car at Big Al's today made me think that I need to get back on it!!!

Anyway since I had welded the underside of the roll cage it was time to weld up the top. As I had cut holes in the floor under the mount for the Main Hoop all I had to was break the tack's of the mount and drop the Cage down so I could get to the top. Worked a treat doing it this way.

Attached File  Roll Cage 12.jpg   34.1K   11 downloads

Attached File  Roll Cage 13.jpg   41.99K   8 downloads
You can see the holes I cut in the floor to drop the Main Hoop down. I got the idea from the Miller welding website. Very informative read.

Attached File  Roll Cage 14.jpg   40.1K   8 downloads
Not a lot of room to move!!!!

Attached File  Roll Cage 15.jpg   28.91K   9 downloads

Attached File  Roll Cage 16.jpg   34.31K   8 downloads

Even if I can spend a couple of hours getting something done it's getting me closer.

#62 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

Good luck with the build....

Contact your local CAMS Car Inspector to find out what is legal with the cage in IPRA....and get him to go through what he needs to see before you get to far down the road and have to reverse things you thought was legal etc.

One thing with IPRA is try not to change the Body shell too much as it must stay unmodified in most area's.

Also log book it as an A9X so you have the freedom to have a Bonnet scoop etc...although you may not need it with it being Fuel Injected. A9X Flares, Front and Rear Spoiler are legal as these are allowed on EM cars.

If you are not already on it...check out the IPRA Forum for newbe tech idea's.

The pedal box must mount close to the original position as a guide...any Q's let me know.

Mine runs a Chev 350 (366 CI) 5 speed TKO600, Ford 9 Inch etc.

Cheers

Pete

#63 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the post Pete. I have been a bit wary about whats legal and whats not with Roll Cages. I have spoken with Steve Thomas over here in the West as he used to be an EO. I know that with keeping the door trims, dash etc as unmodified as possible it is a challenge with the cage. I have read on the IP Forum about the bonnet scoop for A9X's, can of worms there!!!! To many opinions on weather its legal or not, that bloke "Twin Turbo" is good at quoting the rule book!!
I don't plan on changing the body shell other that fitting the flares, front and rear spoiler. Have you got a scoop fitted with hole in the bonnet?
Got any photo's of what you built. Would love to see how someone else went about doing it.

I have the same Forum name in the IP website as here.

Cheers,
Craig

Edited by eyepeeler, 15 February 2012 - 06:16 PM.

#64 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

Yep TT is the guru with the rule book...
mine is loged as an SLR5000...so no hole and no scoop. It was logged way back in early 90's, but didnt see the track until 2005.
Being logged as an SLR make no difference at all...it would be the same as calling it a Torana S...no advantage.
I have been off the track for 4 years now...have done other things...I bought a couple Hatchback LX's, turned 50 recently, I have bought some investment property's, new Girlfriend etc...so track time is on hold for now.

I basically achieved my aim with the category... I won my Class 2 years in a row (06 & 07)...so was happy with that. For the money Spent that's all I could have hoped for...

Here is some pics of it :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#65 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

Here is some pics of it :)

That pic is on the IPRA Forum!!! Tough looking car. Great to hear you had fun and won some races in it. Thats what my build is about, having some fun.

Posted Image

#66 Dasman56

Dasman56

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

Both our ipra torana's have been running bonnet scoops for over 15 years now. Log booked as "Lx Torana" Then again we don't see Good old TT over our way that much.
Also good choice of engine :D I think those things make alot of the Turbo IPRA guys nervous "cos they're fast" good to see one in a tory.

Edited by Dasman56, 15 February 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#67 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

Both our ipra torana's have been running bonnet scoops for over 15 years now. Log booked as "Lx Torana" Then again we don't see Good old TT over our way that much.

That's great to hear. Do you get any problems from the EO about having the hole in the bonnet? Not sure how rigid the ruling is as it seems to be a can of worm's on the IP Forum as I said earlier. Which State do you run in?
Cheers

#68 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Thanks

I won my class...not any races...my best was 8th Outright.

I was up against RX7's and 2 Godzillas...not a hope in hell in winning any races...well not with what I spent.

Posted Image

Posted Image

this is what I am currently working on....has been on the burner for 2 years now..very slow...but thats ok.
78 Brock A9X Replica...

Posted Image

#69 Dasman56

Dasman56

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:11 AM

We haven't had any problems with ours. But there is another LX that originally had the hole cut square to suit his air box . From memory he had to put in a filler panel with a round hole and all was ok. We have 5 toranas in SA Racing now. Just never seem to be at the same race meetings
At the same time.

#70 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

We haven't had any problems with ours. But there is another LX that originally had the hole cut square to suit his air box . From memory he had to put in a filler panel with a round hole and all was ok. We have 5 toranas in SA Racing now. Just never seem to be at the same race meetings
At the same time.

The production A9X had a rectangle hole not round..........throw that into the mix.

#71 Dasman56

Dasman56

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

Yes my mistake , I think his hole may have been oversize. I'll check we're racing this weekend.

#72 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

Picked the engine up from SRE today. The dry sump looks trick!!

What is the depth of the ARE sump over the K-Frame/Steering rack?

#73 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

I was up against RX7's and 2 Godzillas...not a hope in hell in winning any races...well not with what I spent.
Posted Image

That's why Les parked the A9X and took over an RX7!! :D

Grant..

#74 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

What is the depth of the ARE sump over the K-Frame/Steering rack?

Because the sump pump clashes with the Tuff Mounts in original form I had to modify them as seen in an earlier post. With modifying them came the problem of location of the mount on the K Frame. As you can see in the picture I am moving them back to get the same engine locaction over the K Frame. The obvious problem with doing this is the steering rack. Will sort out that dilemma later. As I am still working on this I plan to have between 5-10mm clearance between the K Frame and Sump.

Attached File  Engine Mount 04.jpg   33.05K   8 downloads
You can see where the steering rack will cause problems.

Cheers

#75 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

Thanks

I won my class...not any races...my best was 8th Outright.

Pete, Won your class won your race. Who cares about other cars in other classes. You raced other cars in your class and won. Bloody Rippa I reckon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users