- - - - -

IPRA 4 Door LX

• Please log in to reply
1672 replies to this topic

#26 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

Got the Engine out today. Check out the crack in the gear box bell housing. Nasty one!!

WT*, is that for real?

Surely that would not have been driveable?

WQ Warranty?

#27 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

Have been busy with work so not much done in the last few weeks. I spent yesterday arvo and today making a rotisserie. Came up good enough, need to get a set of caster wheels for it so I can roll it round the place. Hope the get the paint off next weekend and prime it. Then the rust repair will start and the cage. Been thinking that the first thing to do once the roll over hoop and A pillar bar is tacked in I would look at the position of the pedal assembly then seat. The gearbox left Jerico during the week so I might get the K frame and engine mounts sorted so I can attack that area. So much to do!!!

Attached Files

#28 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

Hooley Dooley. A ways to go yet.

#29 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:41 PM

Hooley Dooley. A ways to go yet.

Tell me about it!!! There is heaps to do. Hopefully by Christmas it should look a bit more like a race car and not a well meant project that's stalled.

#30 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

I spent yesterday arvo and today making a rotisserie. Came up good enough, need to get a set of caster wheels for it so I can roll it round the place.

Yeah mate, like your shed's tiny. :Headbang2:

#31 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

I spent yesterday arvo and today making a rotisserie. Came up good enough, need to get a set of caster wheels for it so I can roll it round the place.

Yeah mate, like your shed's tiny. :Headbang2:

:blink2: what's the size of my shed got to do wit it?

#32 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

If that was in my shed, it wouldn't need castors cos my shed would be full anyway. :)

#33 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

If that was in my shed, it wouldn't need castors cos my shed would be full anyway. :)

:lol: My shed at home is like that!! It's lucky that I can do it at work where is a bit more space.

I got the gearbox today. All this stuff has arrived and I have to get my arse into gear and get moving with the shell. There is heaps to do!! As Yella said.....Hooley Dooley. My last name is Poole so I guess you could say Hooley Dooley Pooley.

Attached Files

#34 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:02 PM

Wow that one serious looking box

#35 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

haha mines finished after 5 years of grief i can sit back and watch you now.
gez your using some pretty serious stuff you make mine look like a 202 auto and a column shift at that lol.
hope you have fun i contemplated racing in that category but its way out of my league id be getting lapped on the first lap.
just try not to bang her up too badly it gets pretty serious from what ive seen.we want to keep the 5 of the same rare parts on ebay :P

#36 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

Tried out my sand blaster this afternoon after work. Worked well enough. Had a hard time getting the flow of garnet right, wore out a tip in no time at all. The second tip has faired better. The end result was good enough for a first timer!!! Any tips from anyone? The first photo is what it looked like and the second is the result.

Attached Files

#37 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:37 PM

Best of luck with the build. There are a few early Commodores in IPRA with LS engines but I haven't seen one in a Torana yet, well not in Vic anyway.

#38 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

Best of luck with the build. There are a few early Commodores in IPRA with LS engines but I haven't seen one in a Torana yet, well not in Vic anyway.

Cheers Mick. A bit of luck and I won't order parts that don't fit!!! I think there is another LS engine Torana being built over here as well as mine.

#39 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

It's taken a while to get some time to spend on the car. I have started the Roll Cage, bent up the main hoop and did a template on the "A" pillar to get the angles and offset right. I was waitng for the sand blaster to do his job and clean the car up but the weather has been crap when he's available!!! So I thought bugger it, may as well put the bender to use and make a start. The JD2 bender is brilliant, really easy to use and makes a nice bend.

Attached Files

#40 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:39 PM

Tried out my sand blaster this afternoon after work. Worked well enough. Had a hard time getting the flow of garnet right, wore out a tip in no time at all. The second tip has faired better. The end result was good enough for a first timer!!! Any tips from anyone? The first photo is what it looked like and the second is the result.

Biggest tip i can give you is less is more when it comes to garnet flow. You want as much air as you can get and as little garnet as possible while still actually cutting.

More garnet = less power, more weight the air is trying to move so less force it can use to send the garnet at the substrate.

Cheers.

#41 _napes_au_

_napes_au_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

Have been busy with work so not much done in the last few weeks. I spent yesterday arvo and today making a rotisserie. Came up good enough, need to get a set of caster wheels for it so I can roll it round the place. Hope the get the paint off next weekend and prime it. Then the rust repair will start and the cage. Been thinking that the first thing to do once the roll over hoop and A pillar bar is tacked in I would look at the position of the pedal assembly then seat. The gearbox left Jerico during the week so I might get the K frame and engine mounts sorted so I can attack that area. So much to do!!!

I love Rotisserie's..... Keep going mate.... :spoton:

#42 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

Had some time on the car this week. It has been really good getting into the fabrication side of it. I now have the main hoop and the front main bars down the "A" pillar tacked in postion. It's really exciting to see something going in. I met Welby (A9X) as well during the week, had a chat about all things racing and Torana, gave me some good ideas on a whole lot of areas. Just have to have a look at his Tarmac Hatchback to know that!!!

Attached Files

#43 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:43 PM

Started the side intrusion bars today, The notcher works a treat as you can see.

Attached Files

#44 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:59 PM

Want to try the engine and gearbox in position to get seat position for so I can move along more with the roll cage.

Attached Files

Edited by eyepeeler, 14 October 2011 - 10:02 PM.

#45 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:03 PM

Other side

Attached Files

#46 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:13 AM

How sweet is that.

G'day mate.

Lookin the goods !

You haven't welded the side impact tubes for the roll cage yet have you?

#47 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:37 PM

Hey Welby, Not yet. Just a trial fit at the moment. Have to get the tube at roof level in first. Looking at cutting the trans tunnel today. Any one with info on fitting LS2 enigine to Torana, can you give some tips, will post pics later but I think the Tuff Mounts I have have to be modified cause of the dry sump!!!

#48 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:20 PM

Andy has fitted one to his car, but a TKo from memory.

#49 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

Here I have the Tuff Mounts bolted up albeit in the wrong set of bolt holes, but as you can see no matter which way I put them they will foul on the dry sump pump. I bolted them up as I also want to see the clearance of the sump on the sub-frame. The dimension from the block bolt holes to the sub-frame engine mount holes on the Tuff Mount and fairly similar to the 5 Litre mounts, only the bolts on the 5 Litre block are right down near the top of the sump and the 6 Litre Chev has the bolts up about 50mm from the top of the sump. Hence with the bolt holes on the Chev being higher it will drop the engine down on the sub-frame.

Attached File  Engine Mount 01.jpg   47.46K   12 downloads

This is the Tuff Mount before

Attached File  Engine Mount 02.jpg   34.79K   9 downloads

This it modified. I have swaped them over side for side and moved the bush tube over as much as I thought was need for decent clearance of the sump pump and down on the plate to raise the engine to clear the sub-frame. I will still need to relocate the mount on the sub-frame though to cause as it is it is still to far forward. I am wondering how this will affect the steering rack and the rod that goes through that area? Anyhow I need to move the mount rearwards on the sub-frame so I will have to work that one out!!

Attached File  Engine Mount 03.jpg   37.63K   9 downloads

I have painted the mount in black engine enamel and will put it back together next week and have a look at how it worked!!

#50 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

awesome build mate, looking tops, love the dry sump set-up.

I've fitted a 6 speed behind mine, but not sure how the jerico box compares dimensions wise, It's looks a bit longer from the pics than the 6 speed. I ended up cutting the whole tunnel out and starting from scratch, also had to cut into the crossbrace in the floor pan, so had to find another way to brace the tunnel to keep the engineer happy. Dirtbag has some good pics of how he did the one in his brothers UC in one of his threads.

As welby said andy has done it also and is a wealth of information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users