BROCK GMP&A

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#1 _Maestro_

_Maestro_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Can anyone shed more light on an gpma stamped hatch that has been found?
M21,MC7,GU70 running gear, its a basket case but the plate has never been removed, it now has a 253, ozzy 4speed and a nine inch fitted.
Palais white with slate interior ?????????????????????????

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

Can anyone shed more light on an gpma stamped hatch that has been found?
M21,MC7,GU70 running gear, its a basket case but the plate has never been removed, it now has a 253, ozzy 4speed and a nine inch fitted.
Palais white with slate interior ?????????????????????????

M21 is a box... MC7is a box (T10) GU70 must be a typo
I assume you mean L31 MC7 G70 ?
They only made 33 allegedly... surely there can't be many "lost and found" ones
Without pics of the plates , car and race history/logbook .... well I'd just like to see it before I comment further

#3 _Maestro_

_Maestro_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

OK I have owned a genuine A9X sedan for the last 15 yrs.
I run into a bloke in the pub he says he has this car i go and check it out, I've been there today, it's a mystery, we started rubbing back sections of the paint and found
blue , red , black and 2 shades of white.
The rear wheel arch in my opinion don't appear to have been cut out or smashed with a hammer enough to fit race size tyres, possibly it was a shell that was never used?
We are throwing bullshit ideas around but without id'ing the plate we are at a dead end.
It is as I said a basket case, it is in a sad state.
The tunnel has been welded up where the T10 shifter would have been, appears to have been welded where the cage would have mounted.
Pics, just beleive.
The bloke who has the car will be pursuing AMC magazine MIA section for more info.
If you blokes aren't interested then just like the A9X Club of OZ , I don't know why I bothered with ya's!!!

#4 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

who says we aren't interested.

You ask an ambiguous question with little detail supplied.

Datto asks you to clarify the info you supplied , without which , you are just another post in the wilderness. And owning an A9X for 15 years means what ......?

Re read the last few posts and chill out, or pull your head in, whichever suits.

#5 _Maestro_

_Maestro_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

Read the question I asked .
We all know there was 33.
Where are the 33?
I don't want to know what I already know.
I read the posts that's why I asked the question.
You must know the Bowden's.
??????????????????????

#6 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

you get more flies with honey than vinegar...or something like that

#7 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:49 AM

you get more flies with honey than vinegar...or something like that

I think you mean that old saying "if you want help don't be a dick"

#8 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

Gary Rogers wrote one off
as did Grice I think, I think, not sure about this but RedA9X made mention that only 1 of Grices 6 A9X's survived apologies to Red if I am miss quoting him
Ron Harrop wrote another off that was later repaired and is in Whanganui in NZ
Dave Bowden has two, the 78
and 79 winners
Paul Studder has the one he races
and one he loans out
then there are the those that compete in historic group 'C' Grices
the Phillps Sponsored car
ex Jansen car
and I think ex Morris car
A ex Barry Setton race car is now a yellow road car in Auckland NZ, this was last time I saw it, still being used in anger on local hill climbs and as a drive it to work or weekend road warrior

a spare GMH shell was sold to Jimmy Richards and only recently (last 6 or 7 years turned in to a green drag race show car that is street registered in Auckland NZ) sad waste of a desirable shell

So there is a few for ya

#9 _Maestro_

_Maestro_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

I'll make it easier.
Is there a member on this site or does anyone on this site know anyone who can ID this vehicle?
Yes or know or maybe.

#10 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

yes there are a few members who can id the shell on here for you but more info is needed. and that person would need to see the car and tags to confirm it is rigidige.
Red a9x would probly be the best but there is others out there aswell.

#11 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

Gary Rogers wrote one off
as did Grice I think, I think, not sure about this but RedA9X made mention that only 1 of Grices 6 A9X's survived apologies to Red if I am miss quoting him
Ron Harrop wrote another off that was later repaired and is in Whanganui in NZ
Dave Bowden has two, the 78
and 79 winners
Paul Studder has the one he races
and one he loans out
then there are the those that compete in historic group 'C' Grices
the Phillps Sponsored car
ex Jansen car
and I think ex Morris car
A ex Barry Setton race car is now a yellow road car in Auckland NZ, this was last time I saw it, still being used in anger on local hill climbs and as a drive it to work or weekend road warrior

a spare GMH shell was sold to Jimmy Richards and only recently (last 6 or 7 years turned in to a green drag race show car that is street registered in Auckland NZ) sad waste of a desirable shell

So there is a few for ya

Cruiza,

can add another to your list..

One GMP&A hatch here in the Hunter that is being put back together at the moment. Might I add with NOS parts too.
UFOXU1 can verify as well.

cheers
Mick

#12 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

I nearly (and should have) bought one from a guy in Penshurst back in 97 - supposedly got the bare shell from the deep dark depths of a dealers yard and built it up with L34 etc. It was 'registered' but don't know how legit the rego was and don't know if it was genuine or not. It did have GMP&A tags but that is as far as I checked. It did go well when I drove it - 3/4 throttle in 2nd was all it took to light the slicks - yes slicks on the street :-)

Anyone know anything about that one ?

#13 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

I think you mean that old saying "if you want help don't be a dick"

lol potta xscarary....just worded in a friendly and gentlemanly like manner :)

#14 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

Not of much more value but this is my take on the race cars.

Not all GMP&A "shells" are A9X, GMP&A = General Holden Parts & Accessories......i.e.........spare parts.

The A9X shells were standard GMP&A completed shells removed off the end of the body line and had the "Patch" installed. These shell were then made available to the race teams. Race teams received cars in all sorts of completed stages, from bare shell to rolling car completed with interior.

What is interesting is the MC7 G70 on the plate of this particular car.

#15 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

There is the Tassy Team that had Race A9X's
The Roadways Team
Garth Wigston and Phillips were a big sponser for the Roadways team in 1978-1979
i think Gricey drove for there team as well

#16 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

And wasent the Street Machine give away 13K White A9X Hatch a GMP&A Shell ?????????

#17 _Maestro_

_Maestro_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

Thankyou XU105 your the rational thinker here.
XU2308 I believe your right and the car is in WA, sold not long ago as part of a deceased estate , if I remember correctly.
The Baron is also correct!!!
I raced one in Adelaide that was owned by a guy named Malcolm also from WA.
Said his car was originally painted in the MHDT livery but had to go back to the white to register it there.
So you talk to 10 different people about A9X Toranas and get ten different stories, been that way since I've owned mine and will always been that way.
Not everyone is a GURU though and that is why I usually like to stay under the radar.
Just trying to help out a fellow enthusiast who has aquired a very rare machine.
I will OK it with him about photgraphing the plate and the sections we have rubbed back.

#18 _Maestro_

_Maestro_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

Just to add on the right hand chassis rail it has the CLX??????? number same as the rest of them and just before the rail points downwards another number which is very hard to read has been stamped? It's in like a sort of rounded groove.
I'm thinking this is the GMP&A part #.
SSTorana thanx for the parts I bought from you!

#19 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for here, by supplying 3 numbers off a Tag doesn't say much considering they are all the same.
Just to clear a few things up, GMP&A stands for General Motors Parts and Accessories. Any spare part from Holden will have that on it somewhere and a GMP&A shell is just that, a spare part.
Holden did produce 33 rolling shells specifically for racing in late 77, but these were complete except for engine and gearbox and they had a variety of extra bits added for racing prior to being shipped of to teams. You could write a book on it. These were all identical to each other except for chassis numbers, despite what people will tell you about light weight panels and shells etc, the 33 were the same as each other. They had a tag and a chassis number no extra numbers.
To add to this 8 extra shells (not rolling) were made for teams requiring replacements.
Considering teams were hard up for shells at the time it seems amazing that there appear to be so many running round today.
All 33 were CLX prefixed chassis numbers. LX Toranas were produced as ALX< BLX< CLX and DLX. You could think of the A-B-C and D as being similar to a series 1-2 Commodore today.
This could be either, but without an inspection by someone who knows what they are looking at it's very hard to know based on whats been posted up so far.

#20 _Shagsdrags_

_Shagsdrags_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

: (10 July 2012 - 08:39 PM)i have a G&MPA hatchback a9x it has mhdt paint under the now white paint job can anyone help me identify wether it is the 78 bathurst car as i am certain it is

#21 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Pics? Tag details?

#22 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

http://www.bowdensown.com.au/ The Bowden family own the 1978 Bathurst Winning HDT LX A9X Hatch

#23 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

All the HDT hatches are accounted for the Bowdens have the 78 and 79 Brock cars, Paul Stubber has the Harvey 77-78 car

#24 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

Maybe someone painted up a GMP&A Hatch in HDT Colours, but its not a HDT Hatch or did HDT do a Promo HDT Hatch out of a GMP&A body ??????????.
Reda9x would know

Pics? Tag details?

what skap said

#25 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

Could it be one of the promo hatches or are they all accounted for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users