#51 hainzy

hainzy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

not in Marlboro colurs is it?

Yep sort of.. With a number 18 on the side..

#52 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

gees that's 4 so far that claim to have said car .....somebodies telling porky pies...

#53 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

Pfft i have the 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, and 1980 bathurst winning HB series 70 four door sitting in my shed.....

Cheers.

#54 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

two men say they are Jesus, one of them must be wrong goodness me it must be ...

#55 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Nuffin. Goin touring.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

Industrial disease...

#56 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

Forget about it I saw Elvis driving that A9X around today in Fremantle. He was at the Mc Donalds drive thru window.

#57 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

L31 Mc7 G70 is on the tags which list it as a GMPA shell makes it a very special UC Sunbird and i have seen tags ,.......is following up as i understand.????????????????????????

#58 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

L31 Mc7 G70 is on the tags which list it as a GMPA shell makes it a very special UC Sunbird and i have seen tags ,....... is following up as i understand.????????????????????????

Wayne, you didn't see the conversation last night in the shoutbox and the PSN quoted, not to mention race shells don't have PSN's and i didn't say UC Sunbird I said Sunbird.

#59 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

Wayne, you didn't see the conversation last night in the shoutbox and the PSN quoted, not to mention race shells don't have PSN's and i didn't say UC Sunbird I said Sunbird.

Fair enough red but not long ago a guy with a black hatch was laughed at and now he,s the one laughing so i will keep an open mind at the moment as i said if it is something
...... could get to the truth as we all know there,s a certain person made a habit of replicating cars and a lot of clever people were burnt.

#60 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

In reference to the car you are talking about no one is laughing at all.

#61 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

In reference to the car you are talking about no one is laughing at all.

ok

#62 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:26 AM

I understand that there were GMP&A shells that people could get as a replacement which were in fact "complete with interior, etc" , so just because a car has a GMP&A tag does not mean it was a race car ......... remember GM Parts & Accessories .......... does not = race car in every instance as there are other GMP&A shells for different models that have only been road cars.

Laz

#63 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

I understand that there were GMP&A shells that people could get as a replacement which were in fact "complete with interior, etc" , so just because a car has a GMP&A tag does not mean it was a race car ......... remember GM Parts & Accessories .......... does not = race car in every instance as there are other GMP&A shells for different models that have only been road cars.

Laz

how many with L31 MC7 and G70 on tag

#64 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

Probably none
If the tags are anything like the earlier NASCO tag where they just featured the word PRIME and no details... since the shell came with no mechanicals

GMP+A racecar shells that were allocated to teams would have had the team owners name on the tag wouldn't they ?
I've seen a couple and trying to find the pics but I recall seeing the name FORBES (I think) on tags before
So wouldn't a shell earmarked for HDT be so marked aswell with something to distinguish who got what shell as they came off the line ?

#65 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

The issue is there seems to be a few of these popping up of late. When you come onto the site, post in 3 different areas about having a car, don't answer anyones questions, won't provide any proof and then come out with a big statement like "i have a G&MPA hatchback a9x it has mhdt paint under the now white paint job can anyone help me identify wether it is the 78 bathurst car as i am certain it is" cosidering the Brock Bathurst 78 car is in the Bowden collection and has a very well known history, then how can you expect to be taken seriously? And people wonder why I'm always suspicious, especially considering recent events. I'm always happy to help people with Identifying cars, and there are a few people on here who actually do have race shells who I have helped, but if you want help, then help yourself and supply whats needed for a proper ID. There is no benefit to me telling you you don't have a car , I'd rather discover a new car than bullshit someone.
Add the comments in the shoutbox like "I've done 2 weeks of research and theres nothing I don't know about GMP&As" and "does J590851 ring a bell" (which turned out to be a Sunbird), what do you honestly expect the reaction to be?
Datto to answer your question, no, the GMP&A race shells (the 33 we refer to) were not allocated to specific teams from the factory, as in they were all the same and shipped out in the same fashion as a road car effectively. Yes, there is a car with B.Forbes on the tag, but that is the Le Mans car which is not part of the 33 rolling shells. There were others that had other things on tags, but again these were not generally part of the 33 race shells.
As I've tried to point out to people in the past who have made claims of having certain cars, not all cars raced in Group C were one of the 33 GMP&A race shells. There were other GMP&A shells supplied to teams, and some teams used road cars. Good examples would be all of the A9X sedans raced in Group C. Whilst most of these were GMP&A shells, NONE were GMP&A race shells.
I certainly would not be going off a tag alone to identify a car when it's a fact there are a few cars out there with tags claiming to be something they are not.

#66 _rollo_

_rollo_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

I have been on this site since 06/07 and only joined the site to learn more about torana,s and there originality as i only knew i liked em had a couple and didnt even care if they were a SS,SLR SLR500,A9X ETC I just wanted to go fast .
But i stumbled across a tuxedo black L31 SS SUPER T10 ETC , in doing so caught the bug of collecter cars tags ,codes etc during this time my wife developed brain cancer and died .
Which left me widowed with a 20mnth ,3yr old and a 5 year old i havent worked since and have just started trying to work again.
During that time ive built my torana collection to 22 cars and in that group are 3 A9X SEDANS ,total rebuild absynth yellow ,one stolen in 1984 recovered by me in 2009 jasmin yellow sedan , and one ex performance street car and street machine 89-90 cover car in panama green .
RED (Michael) gave me a hard time and questioned every detail i gave him as i wasnt sure who or what to tell as i didnt want to give up my find .
After being burnt $100,000 by a real estate company , leaving me with $7000 in the bank and monthly repayment s of $8000 its taken me 12mnths to get on my knees (i trusted people all the time ) the lengths people will go to ,to make a dollar is insane .
In saying that id rather certian people be un informed than informed as some will exploit and use the info to build ,replicate , and sell on for a quick dollar these cars as simply owning a decent numbered torana these days costs alot of money and some will do anything to get your money .

Once RED had satisfied himself with the info i had given him he was happy to inform me that yes that 2 out of the 3 from what i had told him were infact 2 missing in action A9X torana,s with the 3rd through my investigations also being a genuine A9X but the old owner who had it stolen in 1984 wants it back for his original payout figure of $7000 and is being difficult since i think its worth a tad more than that ???

Either way id rather red and others on here armed with the knowledge be hesitant to pass it on to those that are so hell bent on getting our money any way they can .

HIS AND OTHERS ON HERE HAVE EDUCATED ME AND IM SURE OTHERS GREATLY .........AND I THINK THE NEED TO KNOW POLICY WORKS BEST FOR THE SAKE OF ALL .......... JUST MY BIT
NATHAN .

#67 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Well said Nathan.
BTW, if the ex-owner of your recovered A9X was paid out by his insurance company, he can go jump.......if the insurance company come looking it's a different story, but they're more likely to want to come to a more mutually-agreeable solution........

Grant..

#68 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

Hi Red
just curious, I met with the owner of a A9X in NZ his car was yellow and had B Forbes on the tag he told me it was one of the 33 and was raced by Setton and after being retired from racing had the roll cage removed and was turned into a road car you could see the bolt holes for the roll cage etc. And yes the Tags looked factory original too me. he brought it in Australia for $30,000 about 15 20 years ago and shipped it to NZ. I do recall him saying that it was one of 2 or 4 cars that holden did for Bobby.

I should add that this conversation happened along time ago so my recall or his history may not be 100% does any of it stack up with you?

#69 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

Rollo, thanks for the support.

Cruiza, Bob Forbes was a special case. Bob was a close friend of Mike Prowse who was the production manager on the line at the time, Mr A9X people have referd to him as.
Bob had four cars (hatches), two for touring cars and two for Le Mans. Three of these cars still exist, one of the touring cars is LONG gone.

Bo Seton was sponsored by McGrath Holden, so he would get his shells through there while Bob Forbes on paper got his through Suttons Homebush.

Bo had two cars, one was raced the other was a spare. The spare was never used and turned into a road car, the race car was also turned into a road car. I did see it around still in it's colours 20 years ago, but I'm not 100% sure of where it is now. Perhaps it did go to NZ but I don't know why it would have Forbes on the tag.

I suspect though you could be thinking of the 79 Janson car which was one of the Forbes Lemans shells sold to Janson when LeMans fell through and Forbes went to Camaros. It was later hill climbed and all yellow, but it still had it's cage in it 20 years ago and it's one of the more original cars around.

#70 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Red, there is a white Bo Seton hatch here in Canberra as a road car, I'm sure its the spare car that was never raced.

#71 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

Yep thats the one I mentioned, gregs car

#72 _wickedwoody_

_wickedwoody_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

Picutres of SHAGSDRAGS Torana. Tag and Rear Quarter. Note Disk Brake Rear End

Attached Files

#73 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

Red, I'm trying to PM about this car you but it says you can't receive any.

#74 _Shagsdrags_

_Shagsdrags_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

to all that replied with help thanks and to all the smart F^&KS that have no idea including myself" except for the research i have done over the last couple of weeks" all i can say is, i have a white lx ss hatchback in my shed which has been sitting rusting away for the lat 12-15 years, with the tag that reads GMP&A also L31 MC7 G70 it has had at one stage of its life been cut and joined in front of chassis rail the front is a lighter gauge also had acute out where the T10 blister was, the car was a red maybe MHDT ??? it also has had a square cut out behind rear passenger seat under the timber also signs of a rollcage everywhere it would have been mounted, (my opinion only) lots of hammer marks inside wheel arches (rear) where been beaten ( i assume to fit chunky tyres) It It has lots of airjack marks on chassis rails and RED A9X i am not a F%^KWIT and i have not been made out as laughing stock before" unlike someone with comments with the attitude that thinks he knows it all about everything " e.g.: black car
i really have nothing to gain nor lose i am a true blue FORD MAN, but if this car has race history i would love nothing more for it to be unfolded in a truthful way that it should be ...i bet one MR PETER BROCK would agree with me but If it has no race history at all well thats fine so thanks once again to the one's with open minds on this topic...
cheers

#75 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

Posting for the OP

Posted Image

Posted Image