Home Improvement

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#126 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

don't laugh...mine gets stolen all the time....
no idea why :dontknow: :3gears: :furious:

#127 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

any progress at the bomber residents ??

#128 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

Its during the week mate, no outside work during the week.

did get one measure for the fence done today though.

Cheers.

#129 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

And just recieved the first quote, $8880 not including removal of the old fence to do everything i want done.....

Gates are expensive.

Need to contact some neighbors haha

Cheers.

#130 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

This is the area im looking to get fenced. Old ladies plot is in the lower left corner of that pick, should have marked it out.

Posted Image

Edited to show rough gate positions, two 3.3m wide double gates, the green bits.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 23 August 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#131 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

If tou happy to pay someone to do it with neighbours helping the cost. I would get them to run the two side, with larger posts at the fence points, and then weld u
Your own fence frames and attach either the same colourbond or timber, or whatever you like. $8800 is bloody expensive and not including the cost of old fence removal leaves you open to any figure they feel like concocting on a friday arvy... That certainly needs to be a fixed cost..... If its chicken wire throw it in the nearest metal recycling bin for nothing..

#132 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Lol... Fence point = gate post...

#133 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

Recon i can remove the old fence myself over the next few weekends easilly enough. I have a 1500kg engine crane that with a bit of tweaking and crossed fingers can lift about 2500kg (hehe) and a 12000lb electric winch on my car trailer, as well as a land cruiser, i really cant see an old star picket/rosewood fence being a challenge hehe.

I hate gates that dont swing properly, and chances are if i make them they wont swing properly...

Plus, ahve you priced up the big ass hinges recently? There like $250 from Bunnings.....

Another quote tomorrow during lunch then one on tuesday, the figure i have now isnt the be all and end all.

Cheers.

#134 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,551 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Hehe.

Sadly i cant see any pegs in the granny's yard, her stupid garden is probably covering them.

Those pegs are in the rental property next doors yard.

Cheers.

Sounds like the owner of the rental property might have had the property boundary surveyed for a reason.

#135 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

nice size patch you have there DJ. Were is you back fence or is does your block go forever back? my gates are what killed me as all 3 of them were custom sizes and the driveway gate is a single swing with 3 hinges to hold the weight and a 50x50 post concreted in 600 deep + dyna bolted to the house. getting them powder coated would have been the pricey part i think but still only cost me $5500 and i did all the labour. some of the timber posts i could push over but other ones i had to use the 3T trolley jack :D

#136 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Na Lee back fence is just behind the shed where my blue lines end, its a mesh fence about 4ft high that the housing commision out the back put up, it can stay for now, if i decide to carry on the c/bond thing i'll just put some rhs posts on the existing tube posts and run 1800 sheets of c/bond along the back, thats easy enough to do myself, besides the bent posts in one spot i really should see about straightening that fence is in good nick.

Dave, perhaps, apparently surveyors have been hanging around the area for a while, something to do with water drainage orsome shit, frOcks me what there up to. Im never home during the day so wouldnt know. Pegs are uncovered and found though, so sasves me effort/money.

Cheers.

#137 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

RE: Hinges. i will take a pic of the hinges i used tomorrow, only 3 on the driveway side, 2 on the other side and 2 on the back gate.

200 clams for hinges ?? were you looking at piano hinges ?? real long frOcking things ??

#138 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

Na gate kit?

Two hinges and a latch, $250 or some crap like that.

#139 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,551 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

Dave, perhaps, apparently surveyors have been hanging around the area for a while, something to do with water drainage orsome shit, frOcks me what there up to. Im never home during the day so wouldnt know. Pegs are uncovered and found though, so sasves me effort/money.

Cheers.

Haha, Rediverting the Bruce Highway. Coming to a neighbourhood near you real soon.

#140 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

arhh righto, hinges, latch & catch + drop bolt that goes on the bottom of one of the gates and all powder coated. then price would be about right. pretty sure the fencing mob should supply it all in the qoute though??

#141 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hahahaha.

Yeah, frOck that.......

#142 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

i paid 800 odd for my gates and posts from stratco.....
first wind it blew down...my 100 buck ebay gates....including new post/drop spindle/hinges have lasted 3 years....so far
have you thought about sliding auto gates?

#143 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

Lee, yeah mate thats all in the quotoe, i was simply pointing out that although $8880 sounds like a frOcking lot, when you break it all down its not THAT bad really.

Cheaper than i can buy the fence through bluescope, they are a ripoff though, i can get it elsewhere for about half the price, but just doing some rough calks i'd need about $500 in cement powder for all the post holes, plus sand/agg and rental of the cement mixer, auger hire, timber to use for steady's, etc etc bla bla bla and then i've got to actually DO something, then your looking at $500 for the hinges and shit for the gates, without actually having gates, so need to fab them up, etc etc etc etc, recon it would cost me at least$6k to diy or i can get it done while im at work and not break a sweat for not much more...

Quag, no, no where for them to slide.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 23 August 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#144 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

Another thought, half the reason for the fence is so i can get another dog, pretty well decided to get a doberman....

How do you go with big dogs that arnt used to other people now days? Mine will basically be used to myself and the old man, and get to see some of the mates who rock around regularly every fortnight or so....Anyone else will be a stranger....Im pretty well a hermit and not many people really come around here.

So whats the go now days if say you have a 6ft fence with a big frOck off sign sasying something along the lines of "guard dog on duty, contact owner before entering property" or similar probably with my phone number, and some stupid salesman or similar decides to wander straight in and gets bailed up by the dog while im at work??

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 23 August 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#145 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

Will cost ya, but you can add it to the dangerous dogs list, pay more for rego, but at least probably cover you arse....
Robably best to fence off that back fence so he cant kill any housos!

#146 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

Good call, will be getting a little girl, and probably getting her spayed fairly early, so rego will be cheaper anyway, will investigate that.

I would definitely prefer to keep the dog reasonably secluded and only used to a set few people for obvious reasons......

Cheers.

#147 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

I have always laid a small concrete barrier under all my fences for the past 3 houses, she is too old to care now my staffy but used to dig out all the time. Well worth the couple of extra barrow loads of concrete, only 100mm square along the hole fence, stops em diggin under..

#148 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

I was thinking about doing that under the gate, how hard is it to do under the fence after the fence is up??

Cheers.

#149 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

save the chicken wire fence and put it up just inside the proper one when the time comes...
dig it in under the ground a bit
or lay it on the ground and cover with dirt and peg it well...both ideas will work for what you want
tmk dogermans are not classified as dangerous dogs so no need for your phone number on the sign
but get 3 signs saying "dog on premises..enter at own risk"
displayed at the door and side entrances of the house
if they jump the back they are trespassing and deserve what they get in the eyes of the law

Edited by Quagmire, 23 August 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#150 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

Cool.

I love dobies, just wondering if it would be suitable for one, me being away from home 10 hours a day six days a week....They dont like being left alone...

will chat closely with the breeders when the time gets closer. There is a high school with a massive oval just down the end of the street so exercise area is no issue, and i could do with a big dog upping me every arvy to go get some exercise :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users