FLY_LX

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Car:LX sedan

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:50 AM

Those figures are very inaccurate. 

Firstly, yes we need an energy source. Yes the earth is finite, but not that finite. We do have acceptable means of renewable energy atm to substitute a reasonable amount of finite resources currently consumed, but there expensive. We currently have no form of renewable energy that can generate the constant 24/7 with capacities to handle the peak loading times we are accustomed to for within 1000% of the price we are accustomed to paying. And the ones we do have even if we wanted to pay that much ($80,000 a quarter power bill for the average family in suburbia anyone?) the ones we have that can provide it have had no real research into what long term affects THEY might have on the planet. To top it off NOT A SINGLE ONE can be produced without spending energy some other way, generally there manufactured using power from either coal or LNG. 

If you do not understand any part of that paragraph then go do some research, if you do, read on. 

An Australian contract worker that you mention is still an Australian tax payer, Contract workers from other countries working in this country still pay tax in this country, as well as imports. They also spend money whilst they are here. Yes having an all Australian citizen working force is prefered in many ways, but that doesnt mean imports or foreign contractors dont help the economy here somewhat. 

A Strong export helps our economy as well, remember. 

Your oil and natural gas predictions are out by about 600%. 

Phosphorous is not NEEDED in agriculture, Its just used due to convenience and in a lot of cases stubbornness..."My father did it like this and his father and his father before him," There are better ways.....Honestly i'd be happier if they stopped using it and went back to more natural means of producing crops, In part this would require less machinery and more manpower producing jobs. 

The list probably does go on, but with no link to follow and no more information I can only assume thats all you could think of. 

The reason they are extracting CSG and the like is due to the greenies (who arnt all that green) sprouting on looking for a better solution to our current power generation tactics.....None of which are that great. CSG is a promising one that has been used for decades....But now there unhappy with that and sprouting lies and half truths to try to stop that, they wont be happy untill were all living in the 1880's again.....THen they will whinge about steam power so we will be back to the 1780's....

The two biggest issues in this world right now are overpopulation and political correctness. 

The only thing political correctness has to blame in this issue is giving the wingers someway to winge without people with brains being able to tell them to shut the frOck up and deal with it. 

Overpopulation is the biggest issue. The world needs to at least plateau population wise. Families with 3 or more children are the main issue, were not in the dark ages anymore, everyone has a fair life expectancy now days, no need to "breed or die"

a flaming, lol i like it. :D

First i didnt make those figures up, although someone else could have, and i did say "if they are correct question mark".                   http://www.theguardi...rces-population

The point i was was trying to make with the workers was relating to to economic benefits the mining companies spruik. Contract workers are contracted for a job, say to dig 1,2 or 10 wells, what ever the case maybe. So your contract might last 6 months say then your contract is over. So in my opinion those employment figures can be inflated.

Then theres the actual revenue the government collects. The worker pays income tax then collects some more revenue on most of the things you buy with your pay. so all of the workers money stays here while the companies probably pay about 5% company tax and the rest goes ????

So it is my opinion the the economic benefit is not as big as they say. but hey thats only my opinion. could be wrong, just how i see it, the cynical bastard i am.     

I agree with most of your comments on energy, but i think with more investment the price of renewable will come down, but as usual it comes down to $$$$. Like back in the late 1800's a man named Nikola Tesla (invented radio, radar, x-rays and a/c generators and more) said to Westinghouse (industrialist how bought a/c motor patent) he could create electricity from the air and transmit it wireless to anywhere in the world. Westinghouse was not interested because he couldn't put a meter on it. So it does depend on where the money is invested. As for long term effects there just an after thought of any product. Asbestos, mobile phones, hell back in the day you could be drinking mercury, putting lead on your face and get blood letting at the barbers.

I did not say phosphorous is needed in agriculture (although they'll have a hard time without it). I said they use it in agriculture but it is a vital element that plants need, as in N-P-K nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium the 3 primary nutrients for plants.

And yes over population is a big problem, and is only going to get worse no doubting that. But Australia is the lucky country, where else can you get paid to have kids, and if you can't afford them we've got that covered too. A bloke down the road from me has 7 yes 7 kids and no job. must take about 4-5 tax payers to cover that one  

#152 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:01 PM

In the words of Midnight Oil....  "There's nothing as precious, as a hole in the ground" .............    What will be, will be I guess...   We all say how much we love our grandkids, sometimes I think we have a funny way of showing it....   Money, which seems so important, loses it appeal when your health and happiness are gone.....

There is a balance, but greed & corruption usually frOck that up...   I really do hope Australian CSG mining doesn't cause more problems than it solves....  

cheers all.........  Ian..   :blush:

#153 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:11 PM

Considering the most greedy thing you can do I have children I actually think greed for money is a byproduct.

#154 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:27 PM

One thing that interests me is the continual reference to past events to justify todays decisions.

When you look back at something in the past you have the benefit of seeing the results.

But you cant honestly judge past events with modern knowledge.

Simply because they didnt have the benefit of modern knowledge.

We can see these days that some decisions in the past were bad. But with the knowledge at the time they were likely to be the best decision available.

It would be great to be able to look 50 years into the future and see the effect of our decisions.

But we cant. So we have to make decisions based on what we know now. And not make decisions so much on what we think.

#155 FLY_LX

FLY_LX

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Car:LX sedan

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

Fair call rock, hindsight is 20/20 and most decisions are made on present facts/ knowledge and technology.

But we are humans so emotions and individual agendas also come into play.

I think man forgets we are not the only thing living on this planet but we are the only creatures that have such a influence on our environment. Imagine there was a species above us that looked at us like we think of monkeys, would they be culling us like we do when a animal starts to impact the land.

I think we should be working with nature and not trying to engineer the world to our will. There is obviously an order or even laws to the way the world works. Why not work with it.

#156 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:52 PM

Agreed.

Were also the only species besides viruses that do not develop a natural equilibrium with our surroundings....quoth agent smith. So true.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 31 March 2015 - 01:53 PM.

#157 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:43 PM

Its in our nature to be competitive.

Comes from survival of the fittest part of evolution.

We tend to want something bigger and better.

But with civilisation and technology, the weaker have survived as well.

There is no scientific basis for what comes next.

Try an Attenborough voice.

As the weaker have survived, they too want to ensure that they continue to exist.

They dont have the brawn to fight for it so they have adapted in other ways.

Thus small groups of like minded people have joined together to protest things they dont like.

And as they become larger groups, and make enough noise to become a nuisance, the stronger ones give them small concessions to get rid of the noise.

But alas this doesnt work. The weaker celebrate this as a victory. And victory is something they have seldom experienced.

So they pick something else. And make even more noise. Because they like the feeling of victory

#158 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

Considering the most greedy thing you can do I have children I actually think greed for money is a byproduct.

Lol, are you serious DJ....? Greedy to have children ? Dumbest comment in the thread or forum for a while.

#159 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

Well if you go by Ian's definition of greed, then it makes perfect sense.

The greens are flaming csg for co2 emissions, leaking methane, consuming and polluting drinking water, consuming grazing land, consuming fossil fuel provided energy, plus others, each and every thing above a human being does during there lifetime.

Plus, whens the last time someone had children for someone other than themselves? I have never heard "Fred down the road wants a kid, think we will have one for him"

#160 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:43 PM

Lol, are you serious DJ....? Greedy to have children ? Dumbest comment in the thread or forum for a while.

Agree 100% ....................   DJ you might be good with motor's,  but you have frOck all idea on life.....   Do you have kids, Brothers Sisters maybe....   It's a gift to have kids, and our kids tend to look after us in our own homes when we get old, so we are actually saving tax payers like you money....  people without children how ever will most likely need funded Government care.......  

Damn,  I can't believe you made me agree with Skap.....  but right he is....  

#161 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:43 PM

Having kids isn't greed, having more kids when you are on the done is laziness and morally degenerate.

You don't have kids so you can make more money or have more things.

#162 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:48 PM

You guys must have a different opinion of what greed is.

I don't see it in most cases as a bad thing.

Some call me greedy because of the amount of golden stuff I have stashed for instance....

#163 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:53 PM

Greed is generally using things to make more than is required or taking more than is required. I still fail to see job kids fit into that, but to each his own.

Straight from google, intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food

#164 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

Liam

Unfortunately there are suburbs full of people who have kids to get more money.

In the mid 80s a mate of mine was a social security investigator.

In a suburb out of Sydney there were 3 generations of the same family where no one had ever worked.

And it wasnt just one family.

It was lots of them.

With the years since then, no doubt it will be up to 4 or perhaps even 5 generations

Lazy? Moral Degnerates? Or people who think they are entitled?

I know of women who have left employment to go on the dole.

No reason other than spend more time with them.

And get paid to do so.

Liam

Unfortunately there are suburbs full of people who have kids to get more money.

In the mid 80s a mate of mine was a social security investigator.

In a suburb out of Sydney there were 3 generations of the same family where no one had ever worked.

And it wasnt just one family.

It was lots of them.

With the years since then, no doubt it will be up to 4 or perhaps even 5 generations

Lazy? Moral Degnerates? Or people who think they are entitled?

I know of women who have left employment to go on the dole.

No reason other than spend more time with them.

And get paid to do so.

#165 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

May need to find a new word then...bit it still fits the definition of increased co2 and methane emissions as well as increased water and food consumption and increased use of energy and increased pollution as a byproduct of the above.

I should imagine In a time of rationed food or power those with children would develop an intense and selfish (familyish) desire to get as much as they can for their children though.....

#166 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:02 PM

That's not greed, DJ. No matter it's spun.

Rob, I know what you are saying mate, I'm talking more the people who have never had a profession other than breeding.

#167 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

But there are probably single people that use more energy, water, etc than families too, where do you police it? Oh that's right it's reflected in their quarterly bills. They pay for the right to use as much as they want as you or I do, whether they are as conscious of their actions as you and I are though, I'm on tank water and use septic systems I only have power, but I am also in the process of building vegetable gardens etc.

#168 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:15 PM

Yes going by your definition I used the wrong word, But the word "Greed" has been incorrectly used several times in this thread with absolutely not a hint that it might be out of line.

Example the mining/drilling companies involved in CSG have been labeled as greedy, where as by your definition they are not. 

As another example im frequently called racist. But by the dictionary definition of rasist:

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race

Once again, I am not actually racist, as neither of those are true about me. 

I know what the point was I was trying to make, but something i constantly struggle with is getting that point across clearly and by insulting as few people as possible, I chose the wrong word in this case, although in my mind at the time without actually thinking about the true definition it fit the word.

I see no one has bothered to argue the comparison of a child vs drilling for CSG, so apparently the point got across somewhat, just with some confusion. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 31 March 2015 - 06:16 PM.

#169 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:34 PM

:). You are right, CSG companies are greedy....

#170 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:35 PM

It's all good mate, I know what you are trying to say probably economically or ecologically irresponsible. Both apply there, when used in excess of course.

#171 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:39 PM

:). You are right, CSG companies are greedy....

Not by Liams definition they are not. 

#172 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:41 PM

Ok, so you are both a bit wrong :tease:

Edited by Skapinad, 31 March 2015 - 06:41 PM.

#173 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:44 PM

In 1000 years time when our descendants are grunting in the mud scratching for roaches to eat nobody will remember or care about CSG. (or renewables for that matter)

#174 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:44 PM

Well they are, they are only building wealth at all costs, no matter what they say about being better for the environment, it's all about the market demand and the net profits they can increase. Which is greed IMO.

#175 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:49 PM

No its very expensive investment that is basically guaranteed to return a profit. 

Good business sense. 

Am i greedy for spending 16k on my solar system with a 44c rebate untill 2026?

Am i greedy for buying my last bulk lot of cars and selling parts off at less than current values to turn a profit?

If thats greed then every single business in Australia is started by greed. I think a lot of them are started because someone wants to have a go at something, and it costs them a lot of money to get set up......Just because you have the cash/equity to get started doesnt automatically make you greedy. 

Kinda like calling someone who gets a job because of previous experience greedy....

Cheers. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 31 March 2015 - 06:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users