Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Car:LJ GTR XU1 and LX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

I seem to have hijacked Liz's thread....Sorry will start my own later on. But just one more pic...

Looks great Mike, I don't mind you hijacking my thread. Maybe we should have an Eastcoast vs Westcoast resto race ;) You look to be winning...slightly.

Cheers,

Liz :)

#152 77lx308

77lx308

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Car:77 lx 308

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:45 PM

Sorry - cannot resist....

Attached Files

#153 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:53 AM

Sorry - cannot resist....

WoW! Nice!

What kind of timeframe are you looking at for when it'll be finished?

Cheers,

#154 77lx308

77lx308

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Car:77 lx 308

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

I have taken a few days off work to reassemble the interior etc - then it is up to my son the mechanic to put the go stuff back in. Hoping to have it on the road in about 3-4 weeks. Big Torana cruise here end of october.

You know how I said no more pics?

I lied - out of the panel beater and down to my sons workshop today!!

Attached Files

#155 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:47 PM

Hey Liz, Car looks great :) . How often will you drive your new car (in the rain ect) ?. Also are they the original headlights ?. Are you fitting a new windscreen ? Last one . Was there any issues with your plenum ?

#156 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

Hey Liz, Car looks great :) . How often will you drive your new car (in the rain ect) ?. Also are they the original headlights ?. Are you fitting a new windscreen ? Last one . Was there any issues with your plenum ?

Hi Ray,

Not sure how often I'll drive it because it has relatively low Ks for it's age, 154,000 and I probably won't drive it in the rain unless I get caught out in it as resto guy reckons it's been kept pretty dry by previous owners. I'm planning on keeping it until I'm too old to drive it so need to look after it properly. I'm looking at buying a Carcoon to store it in, which should take care of any moisture issues.

Good question about the headlights. I have to admit to not paying any attention to those until now. Here's a pic of each (pre-resto) and it looks like they have different branded sealed beams? What do you think? I might have a search through the Forums to see what the correct type are.

Attached File  66_O:S Headlight Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 7.41.09 am copy.jpg   88.54K   21 downloads

Attached File  67_N:S Headlight Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 7.40.43 am copy.jpg   111.31K   19 downloads

I do have the original windscreen as a spare but the one in the car is a later model laminated type. Safer if it gets hit with a stone etc.

Hmm..plenum chamber, resto guy never mentioned any problems with it but I've seen on other people's threads that its a usual area for rust. I guess that's to be expected as it's where the water runs to, not sure if water could pool a bit there and cause problems.

Cheers,

#157 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:30 AM

I have taken a few days off work to reassemble the interior etc - then it is up to my son the mechanic to put the go stuff back in. Hoping to have it on the road in about 3-4 weeks. Big Torana cruise here end of october.

You know how I said no more pics?

I lied - out of the panel beater and down to my sons workshop today!!

3 to 4 weeks! Not long now, Looks great so far :)

Cheers,

#158 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:00 AM

I had a original 1977 LSR 5000 in the early 80's that came with laminated tinted band windscreen, so no issues there puting in one for originality.

#159 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

I had a original 1977 LSR 5000 in the early 80's that came with laminated tinted band windscreen, so no issues there puting in one for originality.

Yeah, I have read somewhere, maybe in Torana Tough, that it was an option in the 70s. I really should have a check of the other glass too. I saw a thread on here that mentioned how to read the date codes on Pilkington glass, very interesting. I might have to get stronger prescription glasses first.

Cheers,

#160 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,058 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:26 AM

The headlights for LH were a Lucas sealed beam, and I'm pretty sure that they carried on up to the Halogens in the UC.

#161 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

The headlights for LH were a Lucas sealed beam, and I'm pretty sure that they carried on up to the Halogens in the UC.

Thanks for that, Laurie.

Cheers,

#162 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:73 LJ GTR, 77 LX SS 253 Manual
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:32 PM

I think you'll find SS Hatches had H4 Halogen inserts, see the below thread

http://www.gmh-toran...dlight-options/

Cheers Kev

#163 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:15 PM

I think you'll find SS Hatches had H4 Halogen inserts, see the below thread

http://www.gmh-toran...dlight-options/

Cheers Kev

Thanks very much, Kev. Great info in that thread.

Cheers,

#164 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,058 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:48 PM

Great bit of info there. Now I just need to figure out a way to retain it in my melon!

Ha ha ha . No. You are definitely not Adam!!!!

Edited by Shiney005, 15 September 2017 - 07:49 PM.

#165 Torrii

Torrii

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Name:Pete
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

Im not looking forward to pulling off my bonnet hinge plates coz i think mine will be similar rust wise

#166 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

Im not looking forward to pulling off my bonnet hinge plates coz i think mine will be similar rust wise

Hi Pete,

Yeah, reckon that's one of those "usual places" for rust that always gets talked about. I've looked at a couple of other people's build threads and they all have rust in and behind those plates. My car has been kept very dry during it's life and still had rust there so it's a bit of a water trap.

Are you doing a rebuild on the red hatch in you profile pic? Nice bright colour!

Cheers,

#167 Torrii

Torrii

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Name:Pete
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

Hi Liz,

Yes I've just completed a full mechanical rebuild of the hatch and put conditional 60 day rego on it so I'm stoked! I figured that I should get it on the road and start enjoying it, then in a couple of years once I've built a workshop pull it apart so the body and paint can be restored. I'll start a build thread for it soon to show how the rebuild went and some of the tips and tricks I picked up along the way.

I agree about the usual places. The other spots of concern on my ride are the plenum, radiator support and rear hatch area.

Edited by Torrii, 01 October 2017 - 09:34 AM.

#168 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:05 PM

Hi Liz,

Yes I've just completed a full mechanical rebuild of the hatch and put conditional 60 day rego on it so I'm stoked! I figured that I should get it on the road and start enjoying it, then in a couple of years once I've built a workshop pull it apart so the body and paint can be restored. I'll start a build thread for it soon to show how the rebuild went and some of the tips and tricks I picked up along the way.

I agree about the usual places. The other spots of concern on my ride are the plenum, radiator support and rear hatch area.

That's a great idea about doing the mechanicals first to be able to drive it for a while, you'll have time to collect panels and bits and pieces as well. I've only driven mine around the paddock once and that was six months ago.

I was lucky with the hatch itself as it was as clean as a brand new one, don't remember the resto guy saying anything about the plenum chamber so might've been lucky there too. I did have to get a new lower radiator support panel though. Small amount of rust underneath the battery tray,  both ends of the rear beaver panel were plated, all usual places.

"Ready for Xmas", that's what the resto guy said, can't wait.

Cheers,

#169 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:51 AM

Hey Liz, I hope your plenum chamber is good. Maybe ask your resto guy about the plenum. I had my car painted and stored for near fifteen years. Sent it in to be finished and was informed the plenum chamber required repair. Only told on the weekend past they cut my glove box for better entry to do repair. If the plenum chamber is rusty it might leak water into your floors. If it takes another 20 years before its next resto then then chamber would have had a chance to eat your car from the inside. I would hate for you to have major issues after resto is finished.

#170 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

Hey Liz, I hope your plenum chamber is good. Maybe ask your resto guy about the plenum. I had my car painted and stored for near fifteen years. Sent it in to be finished and was informed the plenum chamber required repair. Only told on the weekend past they cut my glove box for better entry to do repair. If the plenum chamber is rusty it might leak water into your floors. If it takes another 20 years before its next resto then then chamber would have had a chance to eat your car from the inside. I would hate for you to have major issues after resto is finished.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the tip Ray. I'll ask him about that.

You may have just given me a clue about my little green car as well because I did have some water inside on the floor when I washed it for Toranafest...Far Out! Bloody cars eh? Never ending..

Cheers,

#171 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,058 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:16 PM

I'm not 100% sure about the little ones, but with LH/X the drain tube is sometimes cut by lazy so and so's feeding an aerial cable to the front guard.

Edited by Shiney005, 09 October 2017 - 12:16 PM.

#172 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

You may have just given me a clue about my little green car as well because I did have some water inside on the floor when I washed it for Toranafest...Far Out! Bloody cars eh? Never ending..

Cheers,

Liz :)[/quote]

Did you have the vents closed?

I get water on the floor of my LJ if the vents are open but nothing when closed

#173 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

I'm not 100% sure about the little ones, but with LH/X the drain tube is sometimes cut by lazy so and so's feeding an aerial cable to the front guard.

Thanks for that, Laurie.

I'll definitely have to look into it because I do have an aerial on that car and I'm even going to connect the radio to the one little speaker, although I assume I won't be able to hear it over the nice 308 sound ;)

Cheers,

#174 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

Cheers,

Liz :)[/quote]

Did you have the vents closed?

I get water on the floor of my LJ if the vents are open but nothing when closed

You're probably right about the vents, Trevor. Never even thought of that. I'll check next time I see the car though. Thank you!

Cheers,

#175 MRGMH

MRGMH

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Name:Torana
  • Car:LJ

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:02 PM

Outstanding Liz hard work is paying off