MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:15 AM

So do you have a fair bit of time off now to get stuck right into it?

#302 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

still one more exam to go but i have until mid January (when i start full time work) to get into it. So im hoping she'll be on the road by then! ill be pushing for that anyway. still need a front end rebuild, and engine needs a freshen up. other then that and a few minor things its just the paint work.

#303 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

Hey guys,

wow it has been 4 years since I last worked on the torry... I almost feel embarassed to come back to this post but it makes me sad just thinking of the torry sitting in the olds shed collecting dust. I have conceeded now that although I still have the passion for doing everything myself I simply no longer have the time. As I am not willing to part with the old girl I instead am thinking of other options such as finding the right person to finish it off for me. I am looking for someone who is skilled and passionate about Toranas and who can help me get to the end result. Ideally I would like to try and find someone near where the car and its bits are located in Riddells Creek VIC but I now work in Epping VIC so anywhere in between or around would be ok. Money is not really an issue to a degree but at the same time I don't want to be taken for a ride... The car is in pieces and needs to be put back together and paintwork finished, the engine needs to be rebuilt and front end rebuilt. I have everything for it.... Anyway I am hoping that the good people of this forum can help me find the right person for the job. PM me or reply here. As always any help would be appreciated

Cheers,

Leigh

#304 _robbo_

_robbo_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

hi toryman i am doing a rust fix up on my lh to mate and doing were the bonnet hinge go's can you spot weld the pice with the bolt's on it or how did you do it the pic' not show to much info for me to pick up on it if you can help that would be good thanks mate robbo

#305 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

Hey robbo. From memory I did this by removing the rusted metal from the inner guard and drilling out the spot welds from the hinge backing plate from the inner guard. I was fortunate enough that my donor car was in great shape (besides the crunched rear end) and so I used a template (from memory) that I made from cardboard for the section I needed from the donor car. I cut this out and carefully welded it in. Being the hinge for the bonnet and having access to both sides with the guards off I welded both sides. Hope this helps... Have you got any photos? Maybe I can offer more help seeing the rust.

#306 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:29 PM

Hey guys,

Project is now taking some serious traction (finally). Car is sitting on the dolly frame I made so I can get it down to a panel beater for a proper paint job. If anyone needs help with making a dolly I have full package of drawings for the dimensions and laser cut parts. One day to build it too.

Cheers

IMG_4918.jpg

#307 HIBERN8

HIBERN8

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:1974 LH S

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:52 PM

Great to see this build is still alive! Life can certainly get in the way of our expectations when it comes to building cars! I've seen plenty of builds on this forum start out as 'it'll be finished by Christmas' and end up finished 4 or 5 Christmas' down the track! Haha but in the end if you end up with the car that you dreamed of who cares how long it took! Look forward to seeing it get finished off mate!

#308 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Car:'77 LX 2850 sedan
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:03 PM

Hey mate love your never give up attitude, although i can't believe you went 4 years without touching it!

I'm an auto sparky by trade so electrical and mechanical is no prob but reading the first stages of your build has pushed me to give the bodywork a go myself on my LX, granted I've only had my car 6 months but I could have got a lot done in that time if I just pulled my finger out!

#309 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:52 PM

Thanks guys. Good to see there's still support out there! The bodywork was good fun. Quite timely but I enjoyed learning how to approach the problems of the rust in particular made making replacement sections and welding them in. I had a panel beater come check out the car yesterday to see what was needed to finish it off and he was pleasantly surprised with what I had done and how straight it looks now. If you need some tips I'm more then happy to help.

#310 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:04 AM

Welcome back.

#311 _Snowmart_

_Snowmart_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:27 AM

Welcome back, looking forward to the new progress
And seeing you get closer to driving it

#312 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Car:'77 LX 2850 sedan
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:20 PM

Cheers man thanks for the offer. Hopefully if I just take it easy I wont cock it up too much I had a, of all vehicles, a '84 ford econovan as my last project and it was ongoing for 4.5 years and I just lost the heart for it so it went to scrap and the motor I had built for it just sits in my garage now. The torrie will be a different story this is a car I've wanted forever!

#313 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

Bit of an update. Shell including doors, boot, bonnet etc is finally at the panel shop. Can't wait to see it painted professionally in 2-pack. Engine block and heads are currently being machined and is one step closer to ticking over again. It's all happening!

Next on the list is getting a few parts chrome plated. Can anyone recommend someone around Reservoir Epping area or close by? I also need to get the gearbox re-built and the diff. Again can anyone recommend someone?

Cheers

#314 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:15 PM

Having read a lot of other posts about re-chroming bumper bars I have decided to try and clean mine up. Started today using the scuff plates as a bit of a test run. Using soapy water and alum foil they came up a treat. I then used a bit of chrome polish finished off with some paint wax. they are a bit pitted in places but I am pretty happy with them. I then started on the rear bumper. This is proving challenging... The inside is quite rusted. I started with the same method but then started using a bit of scotch brite on the really bad areas. I think I will need to use some chemical rust converter and paint the inside... The outside will come up a treat though! Heres some photos.

P1040373.jpg

P1040374.jpg

P1040372.jpg

#315 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:10 PM

Thanks to all the advice on this forum I am now in the possession of my new brake booster and master cylinder setup. I picked up a 'reconditioned' VH360 and a brand new P10050 master cylinder from Terry at Hydroboost. He was fantastic to deal with, knew exactly what I was after and was very competitive on pricing. Highly recommended to anyone! Slowly but surely I am getting there...

#316 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:17 AM

Hey mate, is your existing paint going to be stripped back off by the panel shop in order to go 2 pack?

Great to see the project back up and running again.

Now that money isn't a driving factor anymore, what wheels are you going for?

#317 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:29 PM

Hey Brett,

Yes my paintwork is unfortunately (but also fortunately!) being stripped back. Wheels I haven't thought any further than what I already have which I think from memory are 14x7 Dragways. I picked these up from a fella on here years ago and have been sitting in the shed waiting to go. Just need some rubber.

#318 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:34 PM

Bit more of an update. The engine has come back from the machinist and my builder (my second cousin) has started putting it back together. I also received some goodies for the rear suspension, new engine & trans mounts and the front end mounting kit courtesy of Kingswood Country. I am off to see the car at the panel beater tomorrow and I believe he now has it all in high fill, so he has progressed well with it. I know he found a few minor dents but there has been no mention of any underlying issues with my rust repairs so I am pretty stoked with that! Anyway here are some snaps:

20150531_104056.jpg

20150531_104648.jpg

P1040384.jpg

#319 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:59 PM

G'day guys. Engine build is complete and I picked it up yesterday. Its now home safe in the shed awaiting the arrival of the body from the panel beaters in a couple of weeks time. First things first will be to fit the rebuilt diff then fit the engine and gearbox onto the rebuilt front end and roll it under the body. This way I will be able to begin planning out new fuel lines, brake lines and running wiring etc. I am not sure if this is the most efficient way to do it but its all I can think of seeing as my car was a 6cyl. Anyway here's a quick snap of the shiny new engine!

P1040438.jpg

#320 TUF 308

TUF 308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:01 PM

Just keep a eye on that dizzy cap when installing the engine. Might have clearance issues with the firewall lip.

Looks great thou!

Edited by TUF 308, 28 June 2015 - 07:01 PM.

#321 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:34 PM

Thanks TUF 308. I did some research on here before I committed to using this distributor and I am pretty sure it will clear. But obviously because it will be close I need to be bloody careful when I install the engine as you say.

Yella-5000 has fitted one here: http://www.gmh-toran...tributor-in-lx/

Cheers

#322 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:19 PM

Well it's been a big week for my build. The panel beater finished up and I now have the car back in the shed. A few stressful moments and cursing along the way its now up to me to get stuck into the rest of the build. I am absolutely blown away with the job he has done. The finish is superb and he got all panels very straight. Photos don't do it justice!!

I have been trying to find some info on any tips and tricks about where I should start and what particular order I should do things in. Does anyone following have any suggestions and tips for me? Given I am going from a 6 to a v8 I have been super busy sourcing parts etc and because I am not putting together the same car I pulled apart, any help will be hugely appreciated.

LR-7331.jpg

#323 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:52 PM

A lot of not so fun crap then a bit of fun stuff.

So you don't loose interest........................Lookin' G@@D!

#324 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:50 PM

Decided to start with brake and fuel lines. Given I was changing my MC and booster setup this proved quite challenging as i wasn't simply copying the old lines. Finally finished the brake lines today. I am reasonably happy with them, but probably not perfect. The inner guard was probably the toughest part. Fuel lines to come tomorrow hopefully.

P1040471.jpg

P1040474.jpg

#325 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:33 AM

Really nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users