* * * * * 1 votes

My LC 2dr project!

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

#26 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:29 AM

On a whole, I really can't complain too much. As you say, there are examples that are a lot worse in the rust department than mine. I was a little apprehensive about pushing the screens as I've heard how bad they can be but I guess if you want a proper job it's something that needs to be done. I was lucky...

The front only had a small hole at the top right corner that was pretty easily filled with the MIG.

I'm a bit of an amateur at welding as I've only had the toy for a few months but we got there in the end.

Well it looks like you've got the hang of the welding now :spoton: , and great panel work , will watch this thread with interessed,

#27 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Name:Jeff
  • Car:LC 2dr

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

Well it looks like you've got the hang of the welding now :spoton: , and great panel work, will watch this thread with interessed,

Thanks 2runa.

Yep, it's not going too bad at all - patience seems to be the key as doing it too fast and with the welder cranked up makes a real mess!

I still think I have someway to go to reach your standards though - I've been reading your thread and am very impressed - loved the lead wiping! :clap:

#28 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

Some more pics...

The RH side was not as bad thankfully... just a hole in the side of the inner arch and the end of the sill.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:16 PM

dont forget the plates they should look ace on it

#30 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

dont forget the plates they should look ace on it

Uploading as I type... ;-)

#31 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:45 PM

Welded in the flutes - what a pain in the a$$ job!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As I was warned by my mates panel beater friend, shrinkage pulled the panel in up to a couple of inches above the crease line... :cry: Time to learn the art of metal finishing.....

Posted Image

#32 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

buggar that happend to emmas vh to where i did that triangle but its in a bastard spot so might get it out as much as i can then leadfill or bog it

#33 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

Well, that's where I'm up too.

As Ryan mentioned, I received a little present for my recent birthday courtesy of my lovely wife. She's obviously been paying attention!

Posted Image

I also received the below 'present' (+ bill) from my mates panel beater. Making them myself was never going to happen.... It's a shame rare spares don't do them.

Posted Image

#34 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

buggar that happend to emmas vh to where i did that triangle but its in a bastard spot so might get it out as much as i can then leadfill or bog it

Yeah, it happens pretty easy on flattish sections... I'll come have a look as it may be an easy fix with a dolly and flipper. If not, I just picked up some lead fill, etc. to practice some lead wiping. :D

#35 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:18 PM

dont do if you will be able to do anything with a dolly you cant get behind it at all

#36 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:19 PM

will ahve to wait any way shes away at her mums at the moment and wheni get the stato back up and going i gotta go to town on the vh in eng department

#37 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

will ahve to wait any way shes away at her mums at the moment and wheni get the stato back up and going i gotta go to town on the vh in eng department

No probs - we'll see what can be done when she's back. Are you going to the meeting tomorrow night?

#38 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

yep dads joining up to were goin in the le monaros

#39 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:28 PM

Cool!

#40 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

i can give you a lift if you want i dont no what time the performance holden guy is coming or were we are parking i assume in a big group for the photoshoot

#41 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

OK - sounds good. Just bash on the door when you're ready to go. :-)

#42 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

Try and feather the welds both sides of your repair before you dolly it ..... Just a hint ....if welding in panel like the flutes one rule that you need to follow is

after each weld say 5mm grind it back and let the panel cool and i mean cold to touch before you make any more stiches making them evenly spaced then

fill in the gaps even and slowly.

Keep up the good work

Edited by 2runa, 11 May 2009 - 09:11 PM.

#43 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:02 AM

Try and feather the welds both sides of your repair before you dolly it ..... Just a hint ....if welding in panel like the flutes one rule that you need to follow is

after each weld say 5mm grind it back and let the panel cool and i mean cold to touch before you make any more stiches making them evenly spaced then

fill in the gaps even and slowly.

Keep up the good work

Yep, I started to grind the back of the weld but it's a pain in the a$$ to get the die grinder at it all so I'm off to buy a flexable joint to go on the end of the air hose.

Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try on the next bit I do and see how it goes. :spoton:

#44 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

Attached File  air_sander.jpg   14.27K   7 downloads

This is simular to the one that I use ....mine has a 50mm pad on it .. and I use 36 grit upwards It great for tiding up welds.

#45 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

Hmm, looks interesting. I'll see if the local tool joint has one - could make life easier.

Cheers,
Jeff

#46 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:38 PM

hey mate, lee is me :spoton: pretty new to the forums and have just read though and checked out ur panel work, job well done for someone that is new to the game but dont worrie to much the first time i started with the mig i had it jacked up that high it almost melted the metal like a hot knife into butter :fool: but that was yrs ago now, but im guessing that this was ur first attempt at any serious panel work and stuff me you took it on hey!!! i remember my first attempt i was there for hrs wonering if i should cut or call a mate in to help out :blink: anyways good job ya got goin on there and keep it up cant wait to see it finished keep the pics coming

Cheers Lee

#47 lcgtrrob

lcgtrrob

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:42 PM

looks good lc2dr,your doing a top job restoring the old girl

#48 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

hey mate, lee is me :spoton: pretty new to the forums and have just read though and checked out ur panel work, job well done for someone that is new to the game but dont worrie to much the first time i started with the mig i had it jacked up that high it almost melted the metal like a hot knife into butter :fool: but that was yrs ago now, but im guessing that this was ur first attempt at any serious panel work and stuff me you took it on hey!!! i remember my first attempt i was there for hrs wonering if i should cut or call a mate in to help out :blink: anyways good job ya got goin on there and keep it up cant wait to see it finished keep the pics coming

Cheers Lee

G'day Lee, yep this is my first serious attempt at some panel work and as you say, to cut or not can be a bit of a dilemma sometimes - especially when you're cutting good bits to put flutes in. :fool: Previous attempts in my younger days were limited to filling holes with fibreglass and bog - not the best option I found out. :D I had originally planned to pay someone to fix it but once I got a few quotes I thought I'd just by the tools and do it myself - the only downside being that it takes heaps longer!

Cheers, Jeff

#49 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:28 PM

I also received the below 'present' (+ bill) from my mates panel beater. Making them myself was never going to happen.... It's a shame rare spares don't do them.

Posted Image
[/quote]

Jeff are these^^^ original panels cleaned up or did the p/beater knock them up?????

#50 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:26 AM

The panel beater knocked them up from some rusty examples I gave him - they turned out pretty good and hopefully won't require too much massaging to fit.

I spent ages trying to find decent original sections but they are non-existent, so I bit the bullet and had these made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users