- - - - -

Clints LH Project

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#151 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

Had the car sent to Wilkinson Suspension on Monday to have new springs fitted and the wheel alignment/camber set up. Got a call back the next day and they informed me the lower control arm bushes had crumbled :( I fitted some Noltec ones about 3-4 years ago, car has not been driven in that time...

So anyway got that fixed, Had it brought home... Fired her up and I couldn't help myself and went for the First drive ever around the block :D I didn't wanna stop :/ But not being licensed or having seat belts I figured I better!

Drove beautifully tho, Couldn't give it shit because I only had 98 in the tank (run it in on AVGAS because of the reasonably high compression)

Brakes were abit spongy tho :/ Extreme performance said they tried bleeding it twice, its likely got the same issues as my Gemini had so ill check that out first .

Need to get some seat belts, then Fit the LPG system... most likely a few other small things to do then I can go over pits :D

Posted Image

Edited by Viper, 21 December 2011 - 08:29 PM.

#152 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

340 at the treads, is nothing to snigger at... Nice clint.

#153 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

Well I used to have a 265rwhp XD Falcon ute and that ran 13.2 straight off the street and felt quite quick so I think ill be pretty happy with this... least for a while anyway

#154 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:04 AM

Sorry was actually 260rwhp and 13.6 But still im hoping for low 12's from the Torry

#155 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

Good work Clint, like said above, 340 is nothing to snigger at, Gav was running mid 12's with that sort of power.

Torana > Gemini :P

Edited by DanWA, 22 December 2011 - 08:56 AM.

#156 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

Benefits of being single on x-mass is you only have one family to deal with, so got that out the way in the morning then had some time to play cars.

It would seem the place I had my exhaust done thinks its fine for the exhaust to sit on top of brake lines??
Posted Image

Only done one side so far, The was absolutely nothing stopping the exhaust from being hung higher? Was just where they decided to put the mounts, So a little bit of a play and gained about 30mm. I could get more but Id have to adjust the angle it runs once it gets over the diff as how I have it now its only about 15mm from the body at the very tip.

Before (the side I have not done yet)
Posted Image

After (Side I have done) There was also hangers in front of the diff I had to modify But I couldn't really get decent pics.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Viper, 25 December 2011 - 06:41 PM.

#157 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:17 PM

Gotta love workshops who don't even consider what they are doing could frOck up someones car or equipment...

At least you saw it Clint. Good save.

#158 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

Nice save ... How loud is that set up? Straight through mufflers?

#159 _wblje_

_wblje_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

damn that looks hot. i think im in love.

#160 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

Cheers guys, yea I only noticed because I bounced the rear end up and down (pushing down on the boot by hand) and could hear "tink tink tink" each time, swing my head underneath and it was quite obvious

Nah the mufflers are not straight through.
Posted Image

It is resonably loud tho, I think it will be just legal or just over... will see when I go over the pits.

And yea same workshop did my handbrake cable (VN discs) which looked alright up on the hoist... till you get it on the ground and the cable rests on the tailshaft.

Said business is now out of business...

Edited by Viper, 25 December 2011 - 09:39 PM.

#161 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

This is why i dont sub anything out anymore.

Recently spent two hours making my gearbox x member fit...nearly woulda been quickerr to just make a new one after the shop charged me $$$ to do it (years ago)

Cheers.

#162 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:44 PM

Whoever did your brake pipes should have tucked them in closer too
Does that tailpipe have a MANTA sticker on it ?

PM me who did the work thats now closed

#163 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:45 PM

This is why i dont sub anything out anymore.

Recently spent two hours making my gearbox x member fit...nearly woulda been quickerr to just make a new one after the shop charged me $$$ to do it (years ago)

Cheers.

the old saying goes "you want something done right,do it yourself"
sadly not everyone can do it themselves
but there are good workshops around
car looks grouse btw clint

#164 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:28 PM

Extreme Performance did the brake lines, I can make one that hugs the diff abit better if it becomes a problem.

Problem with this car was alot of stuff was done awhile ago when I was less knowledgeable and don't have all the equipment I have now, If I was to restart today I think I would have done the whole car myself. Least of all then you only have ya self to blame :)

But the one workshop I have dealt with and always been happy with is Dave at Extreme Performance, only negative is the price. (And non perfect brake lines hehe)

Yep the exhaust was a off the shelf Manta system (or it comes in a kit or something and you just weld it together) Is Manta good? Bad? ugly?

#165 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:24 AM

who done the exhaust in the first place?

#166 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

Maddington Head Factory, Davison St... well they were.

#167 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

Ironing out some of the bugs, My gear selector module (tells the dash what gear im in) was always on no matter what position the key was in... So pulled dash face off and had a look and I had spliced power for the relay from the Ciggy lighter circuit. Which I guess I assumed would have only had power while in acc or on but seems the painless kit gives it constant power. So abit of re-arranging I got that sorted.

Then tried to "fix" my ignition switch wiring, but turns out it was right and the Ol Torana's just function a little different to newer cars.
Details here: http://www.gmh-toran...268#entry644268

Then since I had no ciggy lighter because of the custom dash I had to sort something, I had a old Gemini dash lying around which had a nice chrome lighter assembly. And what do ya know a tiny trim of the sheet metal and it fits perfect where the old choke (or maybe wiper switch?) used to be.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So thats in, I thought I better test it, and this has happened to me before in another gemini so I was ready this time... once it was heated Pow it fires out of the dash, Lucky I was waiting for it and caught it before it could burn my seats/carpet etc... A little bit of adjustment of the "arms" inside the lighter housing to reduce the tension on it and it now pops out like normal.

Half way refurbishing my wiper motor, just goto wait for chromers now. And waiting for seat belt solutions to re-open so I can grab some belts.

#168 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

yeah, noticed the exhaust wasnt the best, and one other thing i reckon you need to do is mount your rear calipers to the front of the disc, cause theyre hitting the shocks

#169 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

and one other thing i reckon you need to do is mount your rear calipers to the front of the disc, cause theyre hitting the shocks

Uno what I never noticed that :/ I just had a look and there is a tiny gap but I wonder if it would hit during certain suspension travel?

I could just grind a few mm away from the caliper at that point... If I swap backing discs then wont my handbrake cable lever be facing the wrong way?

Anyway tiny update, I wanted a duel output thermo fan sender but could only get one in 22mm, So I removed the radiator... drilled n tapped it to suit the new sender and tracked down a suitible wiring plug, got it all back together and pretty happy with it.
Posted Image

Also got a full set of seat belts from Seat belt solutions, They only come with metric fine thread bolts but they told me this when I bought them and they also pre-drilled the holes to suit the 1/2" inch Torana bolts for me. Altho I still had to drill a 17mm hole myself so the swivel fitting could fit. But they looks pretty neat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bad pic, had to use flash :/
Posted Image

So just a couple more small steps towards rego.

Edited by Viper, 14 February 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#170 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Looking good, did you use the dual switch to run the fans separately, or to run them at different speeds?

#171 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

Seperately

#172 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

Took the car for abit of a shake down run today :D :D :D

Loving it, got heaps of thumbs up and I hadn't even washed it yet (bout a inch of dust)

The Thermo fan setup works great, first fan turns on at about 95'c I dont think the 2nd fan ever had to come on...

few teething problems, My bonnet keeps popping out of the catch... have another thread about it in general LH-LX trying to sort it.... Temporarily strapped it down

Headlights work... but are abit piss poor, especially considering there H4's... Ill check they are getting full 12V tomorrow and that there not just pointed straight down.

UC indicator arm is abit dicky, doesnt always stay engaged when you indicate left and it doesnt disengage when you indicate right, So ill check that out tomorrow also.

Tyres are hitting the flares while cornering hard and hitting a bump so hopefully I can sort that out without having to change tyres/wheels

Besides that and the temporary dodgy carby everything else seems to be ok.

I got all the gear now for my EFI LPG setup so will fit that asap also then off to the pits I go.

#173 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Posted Image
LPG EFI gear...

did a bit of planning of how/where im going to mount it all... I want to hide the converters under the front guards so its going to be a guards off operation.

Also pretty sure I will have to remove the intake manifold to re-drill it to suit the new injectors, which isnt all bad as I was wanting to get it ceramic coated also... plus will make routing the coolant lines alot easier as I want to run them behind the motor .

#174 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

Posted Image

Fair bit of dis-assembly in preparation of fitting the LPG gear.

Mounting the lpg converters under the front guards behind the bonnet hinges, running the coolant lines from them along the firewall and tapping into the heater hoses. for which I need to change to a 7" booster.

Also need to modify my heater box for fuel rail clearance.

#175 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

Mounted one of the gas converters today and started routing some of the lines, Only had 2 bulkheads, need 1 more for this side (2 coolant hoses in/out and 1 LPG hose)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users