- - - - -

LC S Coupe Rebuild

• Please log in to reply
674 replies to this topic

#76 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

Well i've picked up my grille and wow what a good job. Looks beautiful, too beautiful to paint in fact. The only thing he couldn't do was the mesh section as the wheel would catch and rip it to shreds and i'm not prepared to pay big dollars for it to be done by hand so i will give it a go myself.

Head also went back on. Cleaned the block, fitted gasket and torqued to 30ft/p then to 75ft/p in sequence. I realised i was using a 186 manual so i hope this is correct? Manifold will go on as soon as it's polished, currently in the process of doing so. Have ground down all the lettering and tabs to go for the smooth look.

Seals fitted
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Started restoring my G/B to go back in at a later time, would you believe this was completely black. Took a while with the gurney.

Posted Image

Got my clutch anchor thanks to the forum member Ice and his handy work. Cheers mate!
Posted Image

Anyone know what the white residue is in the second cylinder from the back? It wouldn't wipe off.
Posted Image

Polished washer bottle

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This was the 161 head if anyone was curious. Closed chambers but with a recess machined which makes it one cc larger than the open chamber 186.
Posted Image

#77 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Car:1971 LC 2 Door

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Hi Jacob

Grille and surrounds came up well. Looks like your getting some progress happening now,

Regards Simon

#78 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:40 AM

Interesting firing order in the pre-ground manifold pic :-)

What exactly are you running in that thing! ;-)

#79 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

Keep going jacob on this, really using your head to work through problems - the re build of the pedals was a real test. good work

#80 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

I dont know why i never received notifications for the replies, sorry to those who did.

Potta, manifold was taking too much time and has been retired to sitting on the bench indefinitely!

Thanks Grant and Simon, things stalled for a while but i'm back. Picked up some long overdue full time work and have just been doing that 6 days a week for 10-12 hours a day, training straight afterwards, every night. But im getting some time back now so i have the opportunity to make some progress.

So i purchased two 12" reversible thermos that will be mounted to a brand new 3 core alloy radiator. I havent ordered it yet as im sick of parts laying everywhere, so will get it when its ready to go in.
Posted Image

In other news i picked up yet another XU1 dash, dont know why but its LC correct and has all the original gauges.
Posted Image

Picked these up with a BIG thanks to Ben Harper.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

They have since been dropped off at Wilson's Carbs to be completely rebuilt. I couldnt decide between wilsons, or thornbury. Whilst i trust John 100% the bloke from thornbury was able to get the bodies almost mirror finished, although advising against it. It probably makes them hard to clean but they would look soooo pretty. Any opinions on the matter? Also, opinions on the size. Is 1&3/4" what i need?

Anyway, getting closer.

Posted Image

Next step is to pull the engine out, so anyone with advice on doing so by pulling the body over the car, i would appreciate it as i wouldn't know where to start.

Cheers

Edited by judgelj, 24 January 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#81 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

Posted Image

Haha, good spotting Potta, looks like an eighth cylinder has snuck in there according to this pic!! :P

#82 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

Oh wow, so that makes it rare and highly valuable, doesn't it? And to think I ground It off!!

#83 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Trying to get the engine/k frame removal started. Just want to know the best way to remove the steering column...

#84 _hqgts_

_hqgts_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

In other news i picked up yet another XU1 dash, dont know why but its LC correct and has all the original gauges.
Posted Image

Hi Jacob.... This dash is from an LJ.... The LC dash didnt have the locating screw holes at the bottom it ha locating tabs.... Anyway its a great pickup in what looks to be fantastic condition once it gets a clean up..... Interestingly mileage on the odometer....

#85 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Spose someone has wound it back. Doesnt really matter though, considering their age i wouldnt believe the mileage on 98% of them.

I was told this is LC. So that means LC has the two lights in the center. One on the bottom and one on the top?

#86 _hqgts_

_hqgts_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Lc dash looks like this https://cache.gmh-to...me/P5130060.jpg

I think the one ou have is an early LJ... But your right it doesnt matter....

Love how your car is coming along by the way..... Youre doing an excellent job

#87 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Posted Image

No redline on the LC tacho, that's encouraging :3gears:

Edited by Potta, 28 January 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#88 _hqgts_

_hqgts_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Im only comparing the facias

#89 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for that. Just trying to get stuck into it a bit more. Car had to move to a much smaller garage so it just makes things a little bit harder considering i have to transport tools back and forth. But ill get there in the end, not giving up on this one!

So which is LC because i have two dash's. The one on the first page that has the two lights in the center and the second one that has only the one hand brake light. Both have screw holes at the bottom.

#90 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Trying to get the engine/k frame removal started. Just want to know the best way to remove the steering column...

Hi, you don't need to remove your steering column. Just undo the four bolts on the rubber coupling. I just did it on mine today here are a few pics.

Attached File  044.JPG   162.22K   3 downloads

I made a bracket that slips into the bumper mount slots, make it stick out far enough so the chains don't damage your nose.

Attached File  047.JPG   152.15K   3 downloads

Attached File  048.JPG   148.32K   5 downloads

My old skateboard came was very handy for supporting the gearbox, then I just rolled the whole lot out.

Blair

#91 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Interesting... Im a bit confused though, isnt the steering connected to the k frame? Or am i being completely blonde right now.

#92 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Here is a pic from the back, you can see the steering shaft is still attached to the K frame.

Attached File  DSC07994.JPG   138.81K   3 downloads

Blair

#93 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Onhhhhh I didn't even absorb what you said. I get it now!!

I like the bracket idea, looks the goods!

#94 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

In usually take the cutter pin out and separate the shaft that way.

#95 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Ok so, progress, finally!

Got started on a few things, including prepping the engine bay for the front end removal. Disconnected radiator, various hoses/lines/wires etc. All that is left is the rat trap and steering shaft. Is anyone able to give me a brief rundown on steering knuckle dis-assembly?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, picked up what i believe to be a high torque starter motor (anyone able to confirm)? It is much smaller than the original unit but looks bigger than the ones advertised on ebay. Started polishing it up. Wish i hadnt now but then again it will be worth it in the end. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with the extractors? Should i chrome them or wrap them with heat wrap?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not sure about where ill be lifting it from as im doing it in another garage. Rafters look solid as they rest on one side of bricks but the other side is supported by a dynabolted bearer.. Hrmm...

Posted Image

Did all toranas have this drip tray? Notice the hidden horn...
Posted Image

Cheers

#96 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

Thanks for that. Just trying to get stuck into it a bit more. Car had to move to a much smaller garage so it just makes things a little bit harder considering i have to transport tools back and forth. But ill get there in the end, not giving up on this one!

So which is LC because i have two dash's. The one on the first page that has the two lights in the center and the second one that has only the one hand brake light. Both have screw holes at the bottom.

HI Jacob

The dash pic that Potta posted is LC Torana. As hqgts said, the LJ dash has the two screw holes at the bottom of the fascia so both of your GTR instrument clusters are LJ not LC.

BTW the LC Tacho's had the redline markings, Potta's reline markings have faded away.

All LC and LJ came with the engine splash guard, just not with a horn mounted on the side of it. lol.

Cheers
Dave.

Edited by S pack, 11 February 2013 - 01:38 AM.

#97 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

Ohh so there are variants for each model, I get it now.

Yeah not with the horn, haha.

#98 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

I just wanted to know if people actually use the splash guard? I think its a bit ugly and i'm contemplating removing mine.

Well anyway, after a much hated break, finally got around to the good stuff. What a prick of a job. So not as easy as what i thought it would be. In fact a lot more disconnecting than i anticipated. Moved the car on the tandem to a place i could actually work on it. Started by disconnecting everything. Took me a while to find a suitable lifting block. Finally went with some cut down redgum and managed to scratch up a fair few things with the chain. Hardest part was getting the tail shaft out of the box by rolling it forward. Got it out, box fell off the jack, and the motor made some nice improvements to the front part of the body.

Apart from that got it rolled out and ready to be modified. Plan is:

- install cam

- install polished starter

- polish alternator

- polish water pump
- install polished dizzy and coil
- degrease and pressure wash everything

- paint motor and box

- maybe paint k frame
- maybe rebuild k frame
- bolt on all the chrome bits

- maybe rebuild shifter

- polish engine bay

- install alloy rad

So there is a fair bit to do, might need some advice here and there. Not sure if i should rebuild the k frame, also not sure if i should paint it, and if i do, how ill go about it (remove engine?). Ill probably need some help with shifter rebuild, colour schemes and cam install. Any advice, i'd love to hear it!

Cheers 

IMG_2554_zpsa2d18a80.jpg

IMG_2560_zps6f908177.jpg

IMG_2562_zps1fba14a0.jpg

IMG_2564_zpsc81643c6.jpg

IMG_2567_zpsf5f4765d.jpg 

#99 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Also need to decide on ceramic chrome coating the extractors, or heat wrapping them. Also like to use braided type lines in place of steel brake lines, and perhaps some fuel lines. If they exist? 

#100 Bullet

Bullet

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:LC 2 Door S

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

Hi Jacob,

nice build mate, keep it up.

Do you mind sharing where you had your grille & headlight surrounds done?

Cheers Bullet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users