VN/Nissan B/W Vs LH diffs.

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#151 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:39 AM

I'm not saying to do either. The question was asked about the rear track if Commodore rims were used on a Skyline diff which was adapted to be used in an LH - UC Torana. Whatever method is used, the track change will be the same. The distance from the bolt up face on the diff to the outside edge of the axle flange is the same no matter which B/W axle is used. Also, the Commodore and Skyline rear discs are the same thickness where they bolt up to the axle. This means the distance from disc to disc will be the same whether you use Commodore or Skyline discs or axles.

I personally wouldn't use an axle that has been welded. Other people are more than hapy to use them.

Thats not 100% true, look at the pic of Rorys diff http://www.gmh-toran...pic=14036&st=75
Between the axle flange on the housing and the disc itself on my borg warner-commodore brake setup-plus one other commodore borg warner diff I have here, they have a spacer between the flange and the disc, ive seen a few commodore diffs with this spacer, but not on the skyline diff-i'll try and get a pic of my diff later :D -this adds around 20-25mm extra width to the diff, my housing is the same width as Rorys diff so it took me awhile to workout why it was wider, until I noticed the spacer. So careful with the brake setup as it'll throw things out abit
Actually here look at the bottom left pic of this diff on ebay see the gap between the backing plate and the disc??? you can just see the edge of the "spacer" also see how far away the disc is from the axle flange compared to Rory's diff
http://cgi.ebay.com....1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by MRNOS, 16 March 2008 - 08:41 AM.

#152 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:12 PM

I was simply going by what my local diff guy said. If he's wrong, he's wrong.

#153 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:03 PM

Lokka centre arrives tomorrow...will install over the weekend with pics.
R

#154 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:46 PM

How many horsies are you planning on putting through this set up Rory?

#155 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:09 PM

#156 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:35 AM

Hey Rory, what swaybar are you using with this setup ?

#157 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:01 AM

Front is KMAC Bathurst forward mount...rear is V8 SLR
R

#158 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:32 PM

i'll be interested to see how my whiteline aftermarket job fits, im in the process of welding up a borg warner centre onto the torana axle tubes ... i'm hoping i can use the commodore diff swaybar mounts and fit my bar straight to them! I also have a commodore bar here so if it fits better i can use that.

Edited by Sammy, 19 March 2008 - 01:33 PM.

#159 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

Why would you want a Commodore sway bar on the arse of a Torry?

#160 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

Bigger parts bucket perhaps?

#161 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:38 PM

Whats the Lokka diff supposed to be able to handle Rory?

#162 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

well the commodore sway bar is almost identical to the whiteline one i have in shape except the ends that attach to the link rods are on a different angle so i guess it depends which one fits best.

in the past i had the whiteline bar on and all i got was diff lifting around corners so i put the commodore one on as its a smaller diameter and its helped, but i think i really just need a bigger front bar .....

#163 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:32 PM

Whats the Lokka diff supposed to be able to handle Rory?

No ones broken one yet...we dont know.
R

#164 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:36 PM

The lokka will not be the weakest link.
http://www.fordmuscl...rtrax/index.php

#165 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:49 AM

Thats a great article LS. :spoton: Can you post the second page as well?
R

Edited by rorym, 20 March 2008 - 06:50 AM.

#166 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

well Rory i've used your research and idea of the skyline diff and this is what i've come up with..

Posted Image

its a commodore centre, with the axle tubes of the torana diff grafted onto it. All thats left to do now is cut the upper control arm mounts from the old diff housing and weld them on then the housing itself is ready to go.

i was hoping i could use the stock commodore short axle in both sides but it looks like only one side axle will be close to the right length so it means billet axles, but thats ok, atleast i know they will be brand new and strong ...

#167 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

It will be good to see how the skyline set up works and holds up at QR rory, if its good, Ill ditch the 9 inch, for the nissan diff, waiting to go in, at least I can use a watts linkage over the panhard.

#168 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:02 AM

Thats a great article LS. :spoton: Can you post the second page as well?
R

Sorry, I can not post the second page as I do not have a subscription.

#169 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

i am using a commodore bar on the back of my uc. bw diff.

the arms are actually longer on the commoder than torana so they dont line up with existing flexy chassis mounts.
what i did was cut off the arms and run alloy clamps around the bar and attach to link bars with rod ends. looks cool.

but now i have seen how flexible the chassis mounts are i might go back to a std commodore bar and run the link bars thrtough the floor which should be a bit stronger.

oh, and the advantage of commodre bar is its available thicker than torana, without getting a custom one bent.

#170 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:15 PM

Pushing the car around into position for the engine and box to go in...what a pain in the arse the full spool is!!!
R

#171 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:42 PM

LSD's are just as bad without wheel dollys.

I bought four of the cheap wheel dollys which makes it easy to push the car sideways. The hydraulic dollys may be worth the extra expense for a race car.

Standard Dolly

Hydraulic Dolly

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 21 March 2008 - 06:43 PM.

#172 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

Thanks...I have ordered a set.
R

#173 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

I'm having troubles trying to google the correct information on this LOKKA diff, as I wanted to read more into it.
One site says, that this is a cheap copy of the US Lock-Rite by Powertrax, where as the link accouple of posts says the powertrax no slip is the improved version of the LOKKA.
Also, on some of the 4WD forums, there all saying not to use the LOKKA in the front diff, only in the rear, as it shears the teeth in the front?
One commodore site has info on using it, says that after 6 months he got axle tramp out of it. Although, I'm not sure what led him to say that.
Can someone please point me in the right direction here.

#174 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

The Lokka is the cheap version of the one made by Richmond. Axle tramp in the Crappy Door is normally caused by a weak shocker.

#175 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:45 AM

Powertrax have been bought by Richmond. The Powertrax lock-right is sold under a couple of names so you will have check with the supplier as to what you are actually buying.

Summit Powertrax Lock-Right

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users