VN/Nissan B/W Vs LH diffs.

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#101 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:44 AM

Lol! Got ya Adam!! :spoton:
I just had the axles and discs redrilled for HQ.. Easy.
R

Edited by rorym, 27 October 2007 - 07:44 AM.

#102 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:11 PM

Can you get VL/Commodore 28 spline axles and shorten it to put into the skyline diff? They are pretty much the same right?

That way you save on changing stud pattern if your going to commodore??

#103 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:38 PM

J,
about $350 to do..redrill costs $80..same axles already the right length...
R

#104 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:28 PM

to shorten and respline axle cost $120 each so why would you waste your time to get axles re drilled to suit stud pattern that you require.
If your so worried that you are going to twist the splines get a set of mosers or get the axles heat treated.

#105 _timbotorrie_

_timbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

awesome info Rory, definently something for future reference!! :spoton:

#106 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:11 PM

More to come...will run with the full spool then might try the Lokka style diff to see how it goes.
R

#107 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:18 AM

Thanx, was wondering if the bearing and bearing/axle retainer plate are the same. Will save me having to respline a commy axle.

just cheat and get multi fit (chevy/ford stud pattern) rims, as i believe that skyline stud pattern is the same as ford/magna/chrysler and im sure others

cheers adam

magna is not the same as ford already looked into that i work at a mistubishi dealership n we have them lying around every were but l300s are the same as falcon stud pattern

#108 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:39 AM

i recently got commodore axles shortened and re-splined to fit into the banjo housing so i could run commodore brakes and rims .... there is a fair bit more outer guard to tyre clearance than before ... i didn't measure before but its about 2cm maybe more which all adds up at the end of the day ...

i wish this thread was 4 months more progressed ... i might have done the b/w diff conversion instead!

i think i might have to measure the current track on the torana and see how it compares to the numbers in this thread ... i have a banjo LSD which is fine, but i just don't quite trust the 23 spline axles!

#109 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:30 PM

I am pulling the full spool and fitting the Lokka diff.
R

#110 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:00 PM

So does that mean you're selling your 28 spline BW full spool? If so, PM me.

#111 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:19 PM

When its out...you have first bite Chopper.
R

#112 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

what about the kaaz diff has anyone tired one of those on here yet? bit expensive but sound pretty good i know a few people where talking about them a while ago did any one get one?

#113 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:08 PM

$1200-$1800...big bucks..The Lokka is $599...Mine is already set up in the carrier with modded springs...for less than that..2 weeks in the car...couldn't go past it. Does the same thing..plus Lokka is Australian made..
R

#114 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

well you will be a great test for it rory.

i was thinking a while back about one of these units, but slightly sceptacle about there ability on the track.

wouldnt the spool be more predictable?
wont the lokka be engaging disengaing through corners if you happen to be on/off the gas for what ever reason? where as the spool is a constant.

#115 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:53 PM

Hmmm..sort of Brett...I know where you are coming from..I am told if the front wheels are pointing in the right direction when you get off the gas and it unlocks..all is OK.. spools are good if in a straight line...they also induce..for road racing ..understeer...if you get off the throttle...unless you can re-point the front...it will still induce understeer...the current V8 supercars have adjustable rear suspension...hence the rear camber can help the problem...not so on a LH Torana. I have had a long conversations with several suspension experts...one an ex HDT navigator...no names..Lol!.. but the main point I keep coming back to..is in the old cars..Ala Biante Series and a lot of NC historics, guys are using a Detroit style locker/unlock diff arrangement..It all points to this style of diff locker...I like Mt Cotton which has 190 degree corners...these ..with the 10" slicks, I am sure would screw the diff or snap axles...not so with the locker ...make sense?? its not a big drama..I can change it in an arvo but decided to start with the Lokka...Missus will probably shit herself the first time she drives it but she has my WRX to play in...this is my car..part time for her.. :tease:
R

Edited by rorym, 19 January 2008 - 10:57 PM.

#116 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:00 PM

A KAAZ LSD is quite different to a Lokka. The KAAZ uses a cam to increase pressure on the LSD plates. It is available in 1, 1.5 and 2 way designs.

As far as I know the lokka is only one way dog clutch which is either engaged or disengaged.

#117 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:02 PM

wont the lokka be engaging disengaing through corners if you happen to be on/off the gas for what ever reason? where as the spool is a constant.

I am not sure this is the case...if you get off it...the teeth do move out slightly...but it a race situation you are off it for 1/2 a sec..then you hit it again so they bite again...I guess trial and error will tell but I am pretty confident from what I have heard it wont disengage far enough under such speed/power.
R

#118 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:40 PM

When its out...you have first bite Chopper.
R

Thanks Rory, the cash is ready and waiting.

#119 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

I bought an LSD centre for $80 and a full spool for $165, so I now need to decide what way to go.

Simple decision. Sell the full spool to me for $50 and that answers your question and helps me out too.

I don't suppose I'll be getting it that cheap?

Didn't think so...

#120 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

We will see Chop! :D
R

#121 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:16 PM

No probs. Once you've got it out we will go from there. :spoton:

#122 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:26 PM

yeh fare enough that is a fair save on the cash. so i guess the kaaz lsd would work just as good, it would just be more smooth than the locker so i guess the extra cash would be worth it if its street driven alot no?

Ben

#123 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:34 PM

A KAAZ LSD is quite different to a Lokka. The KAAZ uses a cam to increase pressure on the LSD plates. It is available in 1, 1.5 and 2 way designs.

As far as I know the lokka is only one way dog clutch which is either engaged or disengaged.

Good point LS2 but I think it is more orientated to road then full on race?..Being adjustable??...The D/Locker style seems to be the tool of choice for the track...Most guys I talk to seem to think after afew runs you know in your brain what it is going to do....guess its all about experimentaion...(No Heath!!...Not that type!! Get rid of the donkey!)
R

Edited by rorym, 21 January 2008 - 10:35 PM.

#124 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:45 PM

^LOL^

#125 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:35 PM

man this thread is helpful!

ive probably missed it but how much did it cost you all up for the skyline diff and alterations? would it be much different for UC?

cheers
Ben

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users